Pannasonic SA-XR50 vs. Elite 41

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DorianBryant, Jun 15, 2004.

1. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I have a panasonic SA-XR50 arriving today. I currently have a Pioneer VSX-41 which has a pending sale. I am really curious to hear the comparisons of sound quality, etc. I have been reading the threads related to theses all digital amps.

Has anyone else purchased the XR50? How does it compare to your previous receiver?

I will update everyone with my thoughts once it is hooked up.

2. DorianBryant

I know these receivers have been discussed. For those who have them, how do they compare to the receivers they replaced?

3. DorianBryant

I know these receivers have been discussed. For those who have them, how do they compare to the receivers they replaced?

4. Tim_S

Tim_S Stunt Coordinator

Since you will soon have both, why don't you let us know how they compare?

Tim

5. Tim_S

Tim_S Stunt Coordinator

Since you will soon have both, why don't you let us know how they compare?

Tim

6. DorianBryant

I just got it and the XR 50 is up and running. Initial impression is not quite as much poweras the 41, but still more than enough. I'm talking 15-20 watts difference? Much cleaner sound compared to the Pioneer. Has all the same features, except 6 ch stereo which I enjoy for cd's. The remote is not that good. Has glow in the dark keys but seems like the remotes I have for my DVD player, etc.

The sound quality jumps right out. Cleaner, a little brighter and more forward. I really like the styling and compact size. I never thought it would put out such power. Very impressive low end.

Sound compares to the yamaha htr-5590 which I had briefly. Will add more later!

7. DorianBryant

I just got it and the XR 50 is up and running. Initial impression is not quite as much poweras the 41, but still more than enough. I'm talking 15-20 watts difference? Much cleaner sound compared to the Pioneer. Has all the same features, except 6 ch stereo which I enjoy for cd's. The remote is not that good. Has glow in the dark keys but seems like the remotes I have for my DVD player, etc.

The sound quality jumps right out. Cleaner, a little brighter and more forward. I really like the styling and compact size. I never thought it would put out such power. Very impressive low end.

Sound compares to the yamaha htr-5590 which I had briefly. Will add more later!

8. Tabish

Tabish Extra

I had Pioneer 811s, which is alomost same as elite 41, and I replaced it with xr50, I agree with you about remote, it sucks, but sound quality is day and night.

9. Tabish

Tabish Extra

I had Pioneer 811s, which is alomost same as elite 41, and I replaced it with xr50, I agree with you about remote, it sucks, but sound quality is day and night.

10. DorianBryant

I was skeptical when i ordered it. Even after reading the numerous threads. I certainly "wanted" it to sound better. It certainly does. I bought a slightly used Panny DVD-F87 from MCP on this board and the two really go together.

Makes the wife happy as now my receiver, dvd player, and cd player take up much less space than the 3 components they replaced!

11. DorianBryant

I was skeptical when i ordered it. Even after reading the numerous threads. I certainly "wanted" it to sound better. It certainly does. I bought a slightly used Panny DVD-F87 from MCP on this board and the two really go together.

Makes the wife happy as now my receiver, dvd player, and cd player take up much less space than the 3 components they replaced!

12. MartyP

MartyP Stunt Coordinator

Dorian:

Glad its working out for you. Thanks again. It's a terrific player. Amazes me what Panasonic is doing at this price point...

13. DorianBryant

Thanks Marty. The player was as advertised. I have purchased and sold numerous speaker/electronics and rarely do they come quite as advertised. The DVD looks brand new and matches the new receiver as well.

14. MartyP

MartyP Stunt Coordinator

I'm really intrigued to try the Panasonic SA-XR70/S97 combination when it comes out. I really want to hear DVD-Audio with a digital connection. My hope is that the XR70 has a 80 Hz crossover. 100 Hz is a deal breaker for me...
    How do you like the XR50?

15. DorianBryant

I have had a Yamaha HTR-5590 and a Pioneer VSX-41 since December. I use JBL's all tha way around. S38's for mains, EC35 center, N26 surrounds, N24's for back. The N24's are wired in series to stay with the 7.1 config.

The xr50 has the cleanest sound I have yet to hear. Better imaging and a more detailed sound stage than the others. It was 240 delivered from E-Tronics. Never been a fan of Panasonic but these are as advertised. My weakness right now is the sub. An RCA pro advertised at 279 but picked it up for 75 at Radioshack a year and a half ago. I could not tell a real difference when I had the adjustable crossover with the Yamaha.

I wish it had an OSD, but that is my only gripe.

16. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Me too. I have a S97 already taken care of through a warranty replacement, so I'm just waiting for both the XR70 and it to be released.

I heard that version 1.0 of HDMI did not support transfer of DVD-A, so that coupled with the delay of both Panasonic units(they were originally anounced for an April release during CES)leads me to believe that Panasonic is waiting for 2.0, so they can include it between the units. I'm just guessing, but it seems logical to me.

DJ

17. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Me too. I have a S97 already taken care of through a warranty replacement, so I'm just waiting for both the XR70 and it to be released.

I heard that version 1.0 of HDMI did not support transfer of DVD-A, so that coupled with the delay of both Panasonic units(they were originally anounced for an April release during CES)leads me to believe that Panasonic is waiting for 2.0, so they can include it between the units. I'm just guessing, but it seems logical to me.

DJ

18. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Dorian,

Did you try a parallel connection between your two back surrounds yet?

DJ

19. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Dorian,

Did you try a parallel connection between your two back surrounds yet?

DJ

20. DorianBryant

DJ--I have the N24's still wired in series. With the receiver trim set to +8 it matches the R + L surrounds quite well. I still may though. I know some posters are doing do over at AVS with good results.