Pannasonic 47WX49 vs Mits 46809

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelley_B, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Ok tomorrow I'm going to go make the biggest purchase of my life and get either the Panny 47wx49 or the Mits 46809, well I was wondering which one you guys would recommend I get heres the $$ breakdown:

Panny: $1500 + $229(service plan) + $29(delivery)

Mits: $1829 + $229(service plan) + $29(delivery)

Right now I'm leaning towards the Panny.....can anyone set me over on either of the two sets?

2. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Sweet jesus..where are you getting those prices from? I am looking at the Mits and am trying to get a better price than 2199. The only down side to the Mits is you need to buy the stand, but the features on the TV are better.

3. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Thats the lowest prices that I could get off of the internet and then had Sears match them and then took those to Ultimate Electronics and explained to them that I am buying two of them, actually I'm buying one and my friend is buying the other. I really do like the Mits, but its that damn $300 stand!

4. JohnHN

JohnHN Stunt Coordinator

They are similar in terms of picture quality (excellent once adjusted but both push red).

If you plan to use a progressive DVD player then the Panasonic has an ergonomic problem: it assumes that any progressive signal is anamorphic. So you will need to use a player with its own aspect ratio control, like the Pan 91 or the JVCs.

5. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

I looked at both and like mentioned it terms of Picture quality they are both good sets..I went with the mits though because of the Mitsubishi Promise module....

6. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Mike I what stand did you buy for your unit?

7. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

I got the stand Mits makes for the unit..You probably can find something cheaper that would work just as well..

8. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

I was going to put in a vote for the Panasonic, but it's already a day later and the purchase has probably already been made.

But, if the purchase has already been made, which one did you get?

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I got the Mitsu 46809, because my fiance liked it the best and we both felt that the Mits promise was a huge benefit.

My friend went with me to get my TV and wound up getting a Panny 47wx49 for himself!

We got them delivered today and both are awesome sets, anyone would be happy with either.

10. JohnHN

JohnHN Stunt Coordinator

I think Mits's "promise" is better than nothing but it may not be MUCH better than nothing unless Mits changes its promise to include DVI in addition to firewire. My reading of product announcements and current threads here, on AVS, and on the Spot, suggests that there is now a consensus that DVI/HDCP will be the dominant digital interface/encryption scheme. It's possible that Misubishi will engineer a DVI solution (at least, I assume it is technically possible, I don't know), but the version of the promise currently on their web site only mentions firewire and 5CCP, so (I'm not a lawyer) my guess is that they are not legally bound to provide DVI. Or, even if they are (some of their wording is open ended) they could take a long, long time to provide it (they are taking years as it is just providing firewire).

11. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I figure the Mits promise was better than the way other companies are treating it(which to me is like they hope it goes away).

12. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

Yeah, the Promise seems to be mostly a waste of time now. It specifically only covers Firewire upgrades, so DVI may be a no-go. And, the person would still have to pay for the upgrade anyway (up to $1000). So, to me, the Promise is basically worthless.

Mitsu still makes good TVs, though, -- lame Promise or not.

13. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Actually the new promise pretty open ended, as it mentions neither DVI or FireWire.

14. JohnHN

JohnHN Stunt Coordinator