Panic Room Superbit, Why Not Deluxe

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Columbia makes no sense with their releases. Since they have now adopted these Superbit Deluxe 2 disc editions, why no make Panic Room a 2disk version with all the extras right off the bat? Why the need for a Dual release ?

I'm all for releasing the Superbit version of a New film upfront. It just makes sense. And sense the extras are usually being put together while the film is in its Theatrical release, it makes no sense that Panic Room does not just come out as a two Disk release immediately. Columbia is just trying to get filmfans to purchase it twice. If anyone has heard a convincing reason for this I'd like to hear it.

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Because the SE release isnt due until after the initial Superbit release. With that in mind, there would be no extras ready in time to put on a second disc for a superbit deluxe issue right off the bat.

Why movie only superbit first? To drum up interest in superbit for one thing and at least give people something to tide them over until the eventual SE. Better to have a superbit right off the bat than a standard bare bones release to begin with like Black Hawk Down.

Dan

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

4. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

I will actually be suprised and somewhat disappointed if the SE is a Superbit Deluxe. David Fincher does a great commentary track, which, by definition, no Superbit release will ever have. I'd rather have an SE with commentary tracks.

Good lord, I just had an epiphany! Here is an occasion where double-dipping makes sense, and I don't have any of the hostility which inherently accompanies a double-dip. You can get the Superbit for the high-quality audio & video, and the SE for the high-quality commentaries and other extras I expect from a Fincher SE.

CTHE may just have stumbled onto a winning formula.

5. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Eh, for me, Special Editions make the difference. I don't NEED the movie that bad.

6. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

Adam - that's my point.
    Those who just want the movie will pick up the Superbit.
    Those who want the extras will pick up the SE.
    Those who want the best of both worlds can get both. There is no way to get commentaries and a Superbit-quality presentation in a single package anyway.
    This strategy (if it is a strategy) allows for the consumer to get exactly what they want from a DVD release. It's a little more expensive for those who want the best of everything, but that's the case with everything, not just DVD.

7. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

8. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Yet another movie I have to decide in advance if I will
    A. Buy only the mostly bare bones disc (at least it's SB)
    B. Wait and get the special ed.
    C. Buy both and sell off the superbit.

O the agony....

Brian

9. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

So the R2 that is coming out around the same time is basically the SE that we will get later on. I can't help but feel a little ripped off but then again, I'm sure R2 gets the short end of the stick sometimes. Really though, Columbia Tristar is really starting too push the limits for myself. This double dipping is happening to too many new titles and I'm sure there is nothing stopping at moment. Perhaps this way off topic but isn't this just another way of fitting into the Blockbuster plan of rental pricing or whatever it is?
    Thanks

10. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

11. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

As far as I'm aware, the R2 Panic Room DVD will be coming out in October.

12. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

Luckily here in the UK Columbia have been very good to us as we have got the SE straight off (as with Mask of Zorro and 6th Day) whereas you had to wait in the US.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for Panic Room coming straight as a SE. We have had Black Hawk Down confirmed as a 2 disk SE coming in September. My concern is they may try like Australia (as we usually get identical Columbia disks to them) this pseudo rental window as its starting there with Black Hawk Down in that they only get the plain US version first off.