What's new

Panic Room Superbit Announced (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
could this guy have wanted to hate this movie/disc anymore
Yeah, he didn't give the movie a very favourable review, but I don't hold that against him. Everyone has the right to love it or hate it.

I'm more interested in the audio/video quality which seem to be great.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Just a quick question, what does J6P mean?

I wish they would go ahead and figure out what they want to do with this movie--# of editions wise. It seems I'll have to let the money burn a whole in my pocket rather than give it to my "dealer". I'm sure Fincher is working on some sort of sweet set like he does with his movies.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I disagree with both of those reviews. I found the Panic Room transfer to be very well done, with lots of detail and a great 3-D look. Definitely one of the most film-like transfers I have seen in a long time.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I've not seen the Panic Room DVD yet but I saw the film in a first rate state of the art theatre with a pristine print and it looked pretty dark and murky even then. I suspect this is a case of the director's visual intentions not matching the expectations of the videophile.
I do wish more DVD reviewers would indicate if they have seen the film in theatres so we could get an idea if they know what the film is supposed to look like as opposed to its DVD representation.
I'm so not interested in extras, so this is an immediate buy for me.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Hopefully our man Bjoern will be doing a extensive look at this next SB title.

I'll be picking it up on Tues.

Troy

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Hopefully our man Bjoern will be doing a extensive look at this next SB title.
Yes, Bjoern does an amazing job with his video reviews. His site was also where I learned all about edge enhancement (for better or worse :D).
He seems to be on hiatus lately, but with any luck he'll find the time to look at Panic Room.

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of participation here over the last weeks. Really busy. But i just posted an analysis of the Blade 2 DD and DTS tracks on my new website/domain: www.videophile.info.
Back on topic. I am really looking forward to the Panic Room SB disc, being a big Fincher fan.
Will report my thoughts on the disc. As long as it is only 'dark' (like Fight Club), yet with excellent shadow delineation, i am perfectly happy. IF for whatever reason, the disc exhibits lots of clipped blacks and lousy shadow detail and delineation, i will also complain.
My hopes are still up, since generally CTHV DVDs excel in this area.
Best regards
Bjoern
btw. I strongly doubt that this SB title differs in ANY form from the other SB titles in regard to detail, since ALL SBs that i tested exhibit exactly the same characteristic. We'll see...

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I defy anyone to name a film that was darker, visually, than this one.

...none more black....

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
"It's so black, it's like... how much more black could it be? The answer is none... none more black" -David St. Hubbins, This is Spinal Tap
Darkest movie ever... I am SO in line for this at Best Buy when they open tomorrow (luckiky... I have tomorrow off)
-Rob :D
(who can pull Spinal Tap quotes all day from his magic hat)

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Actually, I just re-screened the Godfather Trilogy and while watching The Godfather Part II I commented that Fincher was taking notes while watching this, since it's as dark as any film I'd ever seen, including Fight Club and Panic Room.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Saw this at Best Buy today. The case is a cheesy cardboard folding case. You know the kind that is extremely thin and doesn't match any of the other cases. This and the fact that its just the movie made me not buy it. I really liked this movie too when I saw it in the theater.

There has just got to be a super duper, special collectors limited edition coming soon...there just has to be...

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
The case is a cheesy cardboard folding case. You know the kind that is extremely thin and doesn't match any of the other cases. This and the fact that its just the movie made me not buy it.
It couldn't get any cheaper. If I hadn't gotten a new scanner, I wouldn't have purchased it at all. I don't understand why a "superbit" dvd gets one of the worst cases in history. Columbia Tri Star continues their downward spiral. I'm amazed how much they have fallen.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I ordered this DVD and didn't get it yet, but I picked up the case at a store today. AWFULL! Really it's tiny. Could be a trend. It's probably cheaper to produce than plastic keepcases and it takes less space on a rack so some people could be crying for this.

I really enjoyed the movie so I'm happy but yes, the case really really sucks.

AndyDL

Stunt Coordinator
I feel robbed.
Today I was all excited.. "ooh, the new Panic Room Superbit Deluxe comes out!"
I thought this was supposed to be a 2-disc Superbit Deluxe release? As I look through this thread, it appears that nobody still knows for sure what happened to the 2-disc set. Where's the "deluxe" part?
And yes, the packaging is horrid. It's flimsy cardboard.. hardly a "keep-case".
This was my first Superbit purchase, and so far... I'm not impressed. :thumbsdown:
Andy

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I just saw that within the last half a day, DeepDiscount has started up what looks like a great offer involving this Panic Room release! (PLUS: They've lowered the price of the disc by $4.45!! :) )
DDD is giving you a FREE Superbit title with the purchse of P.Room + 1 other Superbit! Mmmmm! Not too shabby! :)
TAKE A LOOK!

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
I love Panic Room. I've seen it twice in the theaters and just finished watching it on DVD a couple of minutes ago. Now, I've never bought a Superbit title before today and I have no idea how good the other titles are but, I can't help but ask "what was the purpose of this edition?"
The picture quality so far matched the clarity of New Line's Seven special edition. And the sound is very good but also nothing earth-shattering(and considering the movie, it didn't need to be). So can anybody explain to me why they went ahead and did this movie-only Superbit edition when, had they added a few more extras(hell, give me a frickin 30 minute "making of" at least), probably wouldn't have made any difference to either the video and audio quality?
I'm sorry...I just reallllllllllly want to hear a David Fincher commentary to this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks