Panic Room Superbit Announced

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MatS, May 14, 2002.

1. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

is it or is it not too early to be wondering if we might see this soon on dvd? Any word out there?
    ps. you can watch the main title sequence at this link

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Most dvds are out 6 to 8 months after they're done in the theater. So look for Panic Room in the October - December timeframe.

3. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Agent

4. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

Couldn't tell you a date, but the DVD is being produced by David Prior who did Fight Club.

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

6. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

7. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Excellent film. I'll buy it whenever it comes out, but with all the theatrical and DVD releases already on the horizon, I'm willing to wait.

8. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

thanx Chris and Randall, hopefully the August date is a good one and we will have an official announcement soon.

9. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

word at another forum is Sept 17th
    in other Fincher news dvdreview reports Universal will re-issue 'The Game' Aug 27th with an amamorphic widescreen transfer. ($19.98)

10. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

If it is anything close to as good as the Fight Club DVD release then that would be great. Hopefully we can get a nice first release, I'm sick of renting something and then waiting 6 more months for a special edition.

11. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

looks like I'll be waiting a little longer than 9/17
    Don't panic! - 1:39pm
    Woe, the confusion! Just announced are the details for 9/17 release of the Jodie Foster hit thriller Panic Room, which will first come out as one of Columbia's Superbit titles, featuring just the movie presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen with DTS and Dolby Digital surround tracks, the usual plethora of subtitle options, and no extras. But just like the recent Black Hawk Down, Columbia has also announced that a special edition 2-disc set is on the way with street date still TBA. As always, stay tuned...
    http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...002/06_24.html

12. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I think Coulumbia needs to get straightened out in regards to DVD releases. For a while they did ok, releasing a title as just a bare bones or as a special edition, depending on what the movie warranted. Then came the Superbit releases, which has yet to catch on to consumers or offer a decent title from the studio. Now, to much disappointment to DVD consumers, they release a bare bones edition and announce a special edition is on the way. I think this needs to be sorted out. If you are going to release a title, do it and leave it at that. In the case of Panic Room, they release the Superbit FIRST, then the special edition later. This is even more of a hassle, since those who want a more quality title and get there moneys worth have to wait longer than they should, and only those interested in Superbits and care about the quality benefit more from this. In the case of Black Hawk Down, they release an empty title only to announce a special edition at the same time. Now a compromise: spend money now to have the movie, or wait and get your moneys worth, even if you have to wait a while. I think this problem needs to be brought to Columbia's attention immediately, because this is causing more of an upset among consumers than a benefit. Very few people know about these details since they are mostly restricted to the internet community, leaving the general public in the dark. They have no idea that they are being cheated out by nothing by a marketing strategy designed to make the most money out of situation.
    [​IMG]
    My DVD Collection

13. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

it's all about the Benjamins my friend. Studios know they have latched onto something good in this exploding dvd format and they will continue to milk it for all it's worth. Expect to see multiple editions and re-issues of movies continue for a long time. I am more at ease with the fact a SE version was at least announced around the time of the non-SE (if one categorizes SuperBits as that).

14. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I am glad they announced the Special Edition the same day too, even though we will have to wait a while for it.

15. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I'm glad the Superbits' edition is coming first because video and audio quality matter most to me. I just wish they did the same with Black Hawk Down.

16. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

To re-post my comments from the other thread:

Seems more of a Black Hawk Down issue imho (pitty the initial BHD was not a superbit actually). I'd say the SE would not be ready in time for Sept 17th, and in the want to get a version of the film out there, Sony put out a nice OAR DD/DTS release, of superbit video standards no less. I see no cause for complaint.

Again they do good in announcing the SE alongside the initial relase. I believe the SE is another David Prior job, and he and Fincher can do no wrong with their SEs so I will wait for the SE, which I could see coming around December.

The R2 is due to street around October, and has some announced extras (3 commentaries..etc) but I would think given the delay to the R1 SE, the R2 will lack stuff the R1 eventually carries as is usualy the way when R2 gets something decent first.

Dan

17. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

This seems like an informal "rental window" to me, since most will hold on for an SE, I'll just be renting this superbit version.

At least they do say in advance.

18. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    Yeah, maybe I'll rent the first release. I'll buy the 2 disc special edition.

Neil

19. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

While I admire Columbia's forwardness in announcing both versions now, I wonder what percentage of consumers actually know this information when the first version streets. I have several friends who enjoy DVD but don't read all of the sites on a regular basis. (In all honesty, keeping up with all the releases anymore could be a fulltime job, so I don't blame them.) Just the other day I heard one say that maybe he should just wait a year before buying anything since he's getting tired of all of the second releases.

Now I know someone's going to say that he should do his research, but I understand where he's coming from. I don't think he's in the minority. Amidst all the re-releases and dual releases, it's progressively becoming more confusing for the average person who just wants to go buy a movie they like on DVD.

20. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

What I find interesting is that this is definitely a change in Superbit strategy from CTHV. In an interview in WSR a few issues ago, their head of DVD production (or whatever) said that Superbit was going to be reserved for re-releases. I do have to say that I too like getting the Superrbit version right up front.

Regards,

Dan