What's new

Panic Room: 3- disc Special Edition coming in March (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

So the answer is to criticize a film that does get SE treatment? That's not directed at you in particular Mark, but at the general level of criticism by non-fans in this thread. The point is that every film, if it is being released, deserves at a minimum, 'decent' treatment at least in terms of presentation. (And yes, Columbia Tri-Star's treatment of the Apu films is shameful. It was very difficult for me to pass on those titles.)

While I do believe that production resources are finite, bitching about a film that you don't have any interest in is not going to do one thing to alter the business model of the studios. Perhaps it makes people feel better? If a discussion of the business decisions that affect the production resources of particular titles and the variability between titles is the desired direction of this thread that the naysayers wish to take then please start that discussion. Because I haven't seen that yet in this thread.

- Walter.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

Just because some people believe the movie wasn't good doesn't mean there isn't tons of stuff to put on the extra discs.

I for one can't wait to get this release. Especially after watching the SE of Alien 3. That new cut really put me in the mood to see some more making-of stuff on Fincher films.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
It also has less to do with the studio and more to do with the director. Fincher movies have pretty much gotten top-notch editions. Same with Michael Bay. It's all in the director and how much work he's willing to put into his DVDs. Schindler's List isn't missing a commentary because it's a Universal release, it's missing one because it's a Stephen Spielberg movie. Pearl Harbor didn't get 4 discs because it's a Buena Vista release, it got 4 discs because Michael Bay put in the effort. The studio just delivers what the director provides.

Myself? I'd be happy if every movie got as much attention as Black Hawk Down Deluxe, Pearl Harbor Director's Cut, and the Lord of the Rings EEs, but until then, I'll take what I can get.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Indeed.

No one is going to be happy 100% of the time with every film picked to get an SE. I'm sure there are many of us that don't really like Criterion "wasting" their time on a film like Armageddon. Personally, I would rather focus on talking about the releases I do like than complain about the ones I don't agree with.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
This was my least liked film by Fincher and I'll take a pass on this release, though it sounds like a nice dvd release for fans of the film.

Wasn't there supposed to be a SE of The Game coming soon?

Kristoffer

Second Unit
I don't understand why people are complaining that 3 discs is too much! Then just buy it then! I liked the film and love Fincher so I will be picking this up, also I don't think there will be much fluff on this set since David Fincher's has been involved and Fight club and Seven SE wasn't exactly filled with fluff!!
If a film like Pearl Harbor can get 3 (or was it 4 discs?)
Then surely this film can!

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
If anyone has a problem with this getting a 3-disc release they're welcome to pick up the single-disc version at Target this week for $7.50.

David Prior

Insider
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The decision to go with 3 (originally 4) discs was mine, with the support of David Fincher, and made because of my desire to be as thorough and comprehensive as possible. If you're the kind of person inclined to disparage a release based purely on something as nebulous as the quantity of discs in the box and not the quality of the material, then I urge you not to buy the set. For the rest of you, I hope when you see the finished product you'll understand why I feel the running time is justified.

Cheers,

David Prior

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I'm really looking forward to it, David. Don't get me wrong, Panic Room was a great movie, but I too was taken aback when I heard it was getting 3 discs. It seems hefty for a fairly regular suspense movie (what I mean is "non-epic"). Either way, I'll pick it up FOR SURE.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

That comment just whets my appetite. It might be a bit premature :) but thanks for the effort on this title.

- Walter.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I say bring it on. Make it 10 discs if you want (as long as it doesn't drive the cost up too much)

Alistair_M

Second Unit
I wonder how well this title will sell. I checked on cnl.com and its 46 canadian dollars.

I've noticed some unusual dvd pricing lately eg Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 2 disk version selling for above the usual price for a 2 disk set.

I'll pass on this one. It's too much for a fairly good film - there's just so many releases this year (I'm predicting I'll be buying over 100 dvds this year).

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I loved this movie and will definitely buy the SE. Fincher seems to really appreciate and understand the concept of an SE dvd as evidenced by the excellent editions of Se7en and Fight Club. I thought Panic Room was excellent and think this will be a very well done SE.

I see no reason why the 3 disc should be a negative. If that's what it takes to present great pq and sound and the kind of extras I've come to appreciate on the other 2 films mentionned I'm all for it.

ChrisChap

Stunt Coordinator
I will buy this based solely on the quality of the extras on the other two Fincher SE's.

Any word on whether or not the set will include an alternate cut of the film? I doubt it because I am sure Fincher had final cut on the one that was released...

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
According to The Digital Bits, the 3-disc SE will have DD 5.1 audio only. Are they dropping the DTS track? Kinda takes the fun out of "upgrading", doesn't it?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

It's probably so they can still use the DTS track as a reason to buy the "SuperBit" edition.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
David Prior is back on the boards! Did you ever read my impassioned manifesto on having you produce Beloved 1998 Definitive Edition?

David Prior

Insider
Marcus, it's off topic, so I'll be brief, but I did a search and found your post re: Beloved. Thanks so much for the kind words. I haven't seen the film, but I'll make a point to as soon as I can. The DVD is really up to Demme and the studio, but anything can happen.

Thanks again,

David Prior

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Is thankful too strong of a word? No. Mr. Prior you don’t know how cool this is for me to read the reply you gave me. Thanks again and God bless.

Marcus "Udeh" Barnes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks