Panic attacks are ruining my life

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Justin_S, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Back in early December, I was taking a nap on a stormy day. My greatest fear has always been tornadoes, so I was worried as usual when stormy weather is in the forecast. I awoke feeling worse than I've ever felt in my life. I could've sworn I was going to die, so I called my mother, who works at a doctor's office. I told her how I felt, and she immediately said it sounded like a panic attack. It took hours before it went away, and I hoped I'd never feel that horrible again.

Well, ever since then, I have had many attacks, and I'm still having them today. They have caused me to have terrifying thoughts that I didn't really think about prior to that first attack. Thoughts that just won't go away. These thoughts make me feel horrible emotionally, and of course, the attacks make me feel horrible physically. This panic disorder is like a plague eating away at my very soul.

Over the past few months I've made small steps in combatting them. Just when I think I may be getting better though, I'll have another attack. I've lost a good bit of weight because my stomach hurts when I eat. The bad thoughts torment me on a constant basis. I've become afraid to do certain things for fear of having a panic attack when I do them. Bottom line? This shit is driving me insane! Its a never ending nightmare.

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any others here that have suffered from these devestating attacks, and if anyone has any suggestions on a way to rid myself of them forever. I've gotten to the point where I look at the days before December 04 as the good ol' days. That's how bad its gotten.

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

You didn't mention any kind of treatment, doc or shrink. Did you see anyone about this at all?!

My sympathies, go see a freaking doctor if you haven't.

--
    H - This is a bit bizarre coming from a horror movie nuts.

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Go to a doctor. I'm not one, but I've known people who suffered panic attacks, and I believe they are often caused by a chemical imbalance. A doctor can get you a prescription for Xanax or another anti-anxiety medicine, or perhaps recommend some other treatment. Whether you would need to see a regular physician or a psychiatrist is not something I know.

4. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

5. Richard Beckman

Good advice.

My wife had for years. Doctors knew nothing! One day I saw an advertisement for a drug trial for people with the listed symptoms. My wife got into the trial and instantly knew she was on the real drug vice the placebo. She has been effectively treated ever since.

Now, my son also has similar attacks. Today, doctors know a little more. Some still think it is mental. Progress, but slow.

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Seek professional help. The worst thing about this kind of condition is that it feeds on itself. You get anxious worrying about another attack. This can be overcome with counselling, but you have to make the effort to help yourself.

7. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Just don't tell Tom Cruise about it. [​IMG]

8. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Two good books:

THE LOW BLOOD SUGAR HANDBOOK (Ed Krimmel)

LOW BLOOD SUGAR AND YOU (Carlton Fredericks)

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I had them throughout my first semester of college. Life became so bad that I'd flee classes in the middle because I just couldn't sit there anymore. The biggest thing is that they self-escalate. The thing that first triggered it was bad enough, but long after I'd resolved that, the fear of more panic attacks CAUSED more panic attacks.
    The key to breaking the vicious cycle is to really let yourself understand that they will end. Just knowing that will help you calm down a little. From there, breathing in and out slowly also helps get the pulse down and the shaking to stop a little bit. I used tums to keep my acid levels down so as to give my stomach and throat lining a chance to recover. I then added Tylenol PM into the mix to regulate sleep through the rough patches, keep me to a routine. Slowly but surely, you can work yourself out and then slowly remove the medication from the mix.
    As to when they'll stop, it's different for everyone. I had a bout in middle school that last for two weeks and resolved itself as quickly and mysteriously as it started. It WILL end eventually, though.

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Two suggestions from one who also suffered from this problem at one time:

1) Everybody's right: See a doctor.

2) Considering this statement:

Get the hell out of Texas, son! [​IMG]

Move somewhere that doesn't have the damned things. It is a little bit like an alcoholic staying out of bars. If you avoid known triggers, it helps to avoid the problem. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

11. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

The bad part is that no matter where he goes he would substitute one form of natural disaster for another. [​IMG]

I would suggest to seek treatment and help for this situation, there must be very few things worse than living thru perpetual fear. [​IMG]

12. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

There have been incidences of tornadoes in every state.

13. John Madia

John Madia Second Unit

Going to a doctor is the best bet. I'd reccomend trying tranquillizers first. If possible, try to avoid anti-depressants (especially paxil) because they can have horrible side effects and you can become addicted to them.

14. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

True, but some natural disasters are more polite than others. [​IMG] Hurricanes, for instance, give plenty of notice of their arrival. You have time to lay in supplies, board up the house and get the heck out of Dodge if necessary. Earthquakes, on the other hand, tend to just show up without any warning at all, which is damned rude if you ask me. Tornados fall into the same category. While you may get an hour's warning that conditions are right for the formation of tornados, and maybe a few minutes warning that one has touched down near you, I don't really consider that sufficient notice. I get more warning than that when my familly is coming over. [​IMG]

Later,

Joe

15. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Thanks a ton for all the replies and suggestions. Just reading all of your posts has made me feel a bit better about my situation. I haven't been to a psychiatrist or tried any medication, but I certainly am considering it now.

Yeah, living in "Tornado Alley" sucks, but aside from the frequent threat of twisters, I love it here. I've always lived in Texas, and really couldn't imagine moving away. What I really need is a storm cellar. That would certainly put my mind at ease, but so far I haven't been able to afford one. Hopefully soon.

Again, I really appreciate all the responses.

16. ShelbyB

ShelbyB Stunt Coordinator

"I'd reccomend trying tranquillizers first. If possible, try to avoid anti-depressants (especially paxil) because they can have horrible side effects and you can become addicted to them."

Tranquilizers, without any knowledge of your condition, is a poor recommendation.

Your physician or psychiatrist will know the proper treatment for you. If medication is the, or part of the appropriate treatment for you, antidepressants are a fine recommendation. All medications have side effects. SSRIs, like Paxil, and other antidepressants are generally mild in regard to their side effects compared to other anxiolytics. I have not heard or read of anyone ever becoming physically addicted to Paxil.

17. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Whereas it is common for people to become physically addicted to many tranquilizers, especially the barbituates, so the advice given is almost the reverse of what the evidence suggests.

Regards,

Joe