What's new

Paneling or Drywall? (1 Viewer)

Wayne A

Agent
I'm currently thinking about building a hometheater room in my basement and I was just wondering what would be best in reagards to sound isolation and vibartion ?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I guess it depends what type of paneling you are looking at. If it's 1/4" wood paneling, it's not going to provide a whole lot of sound abatement without some sort of underlayment. I would say the drywall would be better... not perfect, but better.

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
If your looking at limiting the sound travelling upstairs,the best thing to do is frame a new ceiling below the existing one.The key is to not give the sound anything to contact on it's way up.You do this by leaving a air gap between the 2 ceilings.I did this,and filled the gap with sound proof insulation.Then finished it with 5/8 gyproc.I cut the levels by 60%.As long as you are O.K. with losing approx. 5" in height this worked great.I have a baby on the way so this was important with the wife factor:D Hope this helps.
P.S. The whole project cost me around $250.00.
Wayner

William_L

Grip
Why not go with the drywall, then you can always put paneling up at a later date, covering the drywall (if you were planing on paneling less then 3/8", you would need too put drywall up first anyhow)

I'm in the process of buliding my HT in my basement, and I studded all my exterior block walls, and am hanging drywall

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks