1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Paneling or Drywall?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne A, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Wayne A

Wayne A Agent

I'm currently thinking about building a hometheater room in my basement and I was just wondering what would be best in reagards to sound isolation and vibartion ?

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I guess it depends what type of paneling you are looking at. If it's 1/4" wood paneling, it's not going to provide a whole lot of sound abatement without some sort of underlayment. I would say the drywall would be better... not perfect, but better.

3. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

If your looking at limiting the sound travelling upstairs,the best thing to do is frame a new ceiling below the existing one.The key is to not give the sound anything to contact on it's way up.You do this by leaving a air gap between the 2 ceilings.I did this,and filled the gap with sound proof insulation.Then finished it with 5/8 gyproc.I cut the levels by 60%.As long as you are O.K. with losing approx. 5" in height this worked great.I have a baby on the way so this was important with the wife factor[​IMG] Hope this helps.
    P.S. The whole project cost me around $250.00.
    Wayner

4. William_L

William_L Extra

Why not go with the drywall, then you can always put paneling up at a later date, covering the drywall (if you were planing on paneling less then 3/8", you would need too put drywall up first anyhow)

I'm in the process of buliding my HT in my basement, and I studded all my exterior block walls, and am hanging drywall