What's new

Panel speakers with ribbon tweeters? (1 Viewer)

Mike Busch

Grip
I remember a few years ago I went over to someone's house and was greated with a pretty impressive stereo setup. The guy was really into jazz and classical music. He had a pair os 5' tall panel/flat speakers with ribbon tweeters. It was a very interesting setup. He wasn't really the type to crank it up so i could really hear how the speakers pumped. but at low-moderate volume they seemed very clear. he told me he bought them off of someone at a really great price, but those type of speakers typically go for well over a grand.

I've been trying to read up on this forum as much as possible to get myself up to speed on how HT works and what components are good and what are not. But most of the speakers I see mentioned are of the traditional cone type. Are panel speakers a thing of the past, are they strictly for high quality/low volume, are they not appropriate for HT? Looking for any insite on these speakers as I know next to nothing about them, but was always curious after seeing that guys setup.

Thanks,
Mike

You seem to be talking about Magnapan speakers, or something similar. I have such a system myself. They are terrific speakers with a very crisp bi-directional sound, but they generally have a very low WAF (Wife Approval Factor)due to their large size, even though they are only an inch or so thick . I'd also recommend an SVS subwoofer if you like really low base. Magnapan has a website, but only sells their low end there. For their really high end models you have to go to a dealer. In all of Northern New Jersey I only found 1 dealer, but they were very helpful and knowledable, and allowed me to stay and demo various model speakers and HT systems as long as I liked.

Mike Busch

Grip
The magnapan looks like what he had. now are you saying that the models displayed on their site are the low end models? if so I'll have to read up more on the difference to see exactly what you get for all the extra $$$. The WAP/SAP seems to play a factor in a purchase like that. ;) Thanks for the links guys.

Is there a particular reason these panel speakers don't have more acceptance? Cost prohibitive or what?

Mike

GregGreenman

Auditioning
Mike,

The wall-mounted Magnepans are the entry level Magnepans.

The higher-end Magnepans are big floor-standing panel speakers.

Typically, the big Magnepans have a low WAF because for
optimum sound - they need to be placed well out into the
room; away from the front wall.

Dr.Gregory Greenman

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Mike, what William said was that they only "SELL" their lower end speakers direct from the factory. The web site shows "ALL" of their speaker offerings!!

I have a 5.1 "maggie" system, along with one of the SVS subs that Bill mentioned!!

Look at "My HT Pics" to see my system. One thing about the maggies, placement is critical to capture all the clarity and detail that these fantastic "panels" can produce...they also like a lot of POWER!!

WARNING!! Once you go with this type of speaker....it is very rare that you would ever go back to "ANY" box type speaker!!

Mike Busch

Grip
Alan, I get "page cannot be found". Let me know when your site is back up. Would be interested to see them.

Mike

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Mike, sorry, the HTF has recently had a crash and may have lost some of the members theater pages!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks