Panasonics Vs. Sony DVD player quality picture/value

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Leemhuis, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

Okay heres the situation... I had been going with the Sony NS715V but I have recently heard some bad stuff about it. I chose it because it offered a 12 bit 108 Mhz D/A converter. But I have heard great things about the pannys. So I looked at them and decided I could either get the 62 or the 82. What are their important differences? Whic is more worth the money? I also know the Pannys don't have the chroma error which is not a big deal because I can't take advantage of progressive scan yet. It is nice to know it is not their?

So in the end is it one of the Pannys or the Sony player that wins(picture/sound/options/value)?

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I have the Sony NS700, the model prior to the 715. Before the Sony I had the Toshiba 6200, and I will never forgive myself for letting go of it.
    The Sony has worked flawlessly for 2 years now but it is not even close to the Toshiba. I also own a "consumer grade" 27 inch Sony TV for the bedroom, it works like it is supposed to but it doesn't have the "depth", for lack of a better word, that a higher quality unit has.
    Thats the way I feel about the Sony DVD player, it works fine and I guess you put up with more because you don't expect as much as you would from a more expensive model. Sorry I cant give you a more technical review. It is a little tedious to use and it has problems with some DVDs, some have complicated titles and menus. I suppose if I never owned the Toshiba I would think it was fine, still looking for a 6200 at the right price, I think it has been discontinued, still I think there is one with my name on it out there somewhere.

3. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

Okay so does anyone have any first hand experiances to decide between the Panny/Sony?