What's new

Panasonic's next generation Blu-ray Disc player, at a SRP of $599.95 (1 Viewer)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I already have HD, but was waiting for BD hardware to come down in price. I would be all over this if it also applies in Canada.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
It's also worth noting it includes 5 discs, which technically makes it a $499 purchase give or take a few bucks, assuming you like all 5 discs...

Dan M

Second Unit
ok this is bringing closer to going blu ray.....

1k is just too much for any player IMO

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

I've never seen transporter, and I didn't think FF was that great. But I love the others, and the FF disc at least has some pretty scenes :)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I've been waiting for a reasonably priced Bluray player and some movies on Bluray that I want to watch. Well the player looks like it will be here soon....now they just need to put out some good films and I'm all over it.

Doug

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Any news on when the DMP- BD10A will be available in local retailers? I hope they include HDMI 1.3 but even if it does not, I may still buy this player.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I too am interested in knowing when this drops. I asked at Best Buy/Magnolia, but they haven't even heard of it yet.
Partly I'm wondering with as aggressive as Toshiba is being right now with their 299$ +7 movies, if we'll see other, more aggressive deals this summer, though.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I finally spoke to Panasonic Canada.

This deal will apply in Canada as well, and the player is expected to be available in mid June. Retailers will get their info packages within the next 2 weeks or so.

Hope this helps.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

it only outputs 1080i.

I'll be interested in this if
1) the movies contained are full retail versions. If they are 'special' movie-only discs, I think some of the allure will have rubbed off the deal
2) I can score some long term 0% store financing. BB already offers 6 months currently if you use their card for any purchase over $299- but a 12 or 18 month deal would weaken just about all my defenses.
3) Fox or MGM resume releasing content. Not eager to pay Foxs inflated retail pricing for bare bones catalog titles, but on the other hand, I'm not going to be happy dropping $600 on a second HD player for 'exclusive' content that just isn't showing up.

The last point isn't essential to me at the moment, 'cause I would expect they would have to get back in the game at some point. But If I had bought into Bd back in the winter based on the Fox and BDA CES trash talking, I would be seriously pissed right now.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I was pretty sure the Panny was 1080p. I'm sure an owner will chime in though.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would be very disapointed if it only outputs 1080i and will pass on that player if it does not do 1080p. I hope someone that knows for sure will post on weather or not its 1080i or 1080p. I need a 1080p Blu-ray player that also has HDMI 1.3 but I am not willing to do a PS3. If I was into consol gaming and could afford games for consols and my PC I might consider it. But my focus is my HT playing music and movies, I play games on my PC.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am very happy that the Panasonic does 1080p. I noticed the site only mentions DTS-HD not DTS-HD MA. All that needs to happen is for this player to include HDMI 1.3 and I will be all over this player. ;) Since I keep hearing that DTS-HD MA takes alot of HP from the processor so I have no problem decoding it outside the player.

As there any release date on the Panasonic DMP-BD10A ?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't mind the PS3 as a BD player, but if I was able to do it over I would go for a standalone similar to this. It would have to have analog outs though. The PS3 1.3 HDMI connector is a nice addition, but it isn't much use for me because, unfortunately, I am not in the market for any major upgrades for the forseeable future.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Don't assume 1.3 = bitstream output to your receiver. The PS3 is one example of that.

Since the BDP10a isn't going to comply with the BDJ 1.1 profile, I would think you would need to wait until a 3rd gen player or later 2nd gen to promise and deliver this ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rvolkman
Recent bookmarks