What's new

Panasonic's new digital recievers: thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator

A lot of people seem to think so - for me the main problem with the XR10 is that it's a 5.1 unit so for processing HT soundtracks it's somewhat out of date.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
EDIT, I see that the SA XR-10 has 5.1 analog inputs.

My problem is that I was under the impression that these receivers don't sound too great with analog cd, tape and vcr signals.

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
Even analogue sources such as the tuner sound fresh, fast and detailed. That's hogwash that the analogue section is anything
less than detailed, fast and with controlled slam.
SACD sound amazing. Never used a VCR with it.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Is the original SA XR-10 the best sounding of the Panasonic digital receivers apart from the upcoming XR 70? I don't need 6.1, but...if the XR 50 is equal to the XR 10 it would be nice to know.

I'm used to the sound of a Marantz SR 7000 and 8000. The Panasonic would have less power at 100 watts into 6 ohms vs 125 watts into 6 ohms that I get with the Marantz receivers. My only other complaint is the lousy speaker connections on the Panasonic digital receivers!I am getting banana plugs and I won't be able to use them! Nutz!!

Looking at the back of the receiver, it wouldn't be a very difficult job to add banana plug accepting speaker connection, would it?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Could someone explain "party" mode and how exactly can you use it? Can you use it to bi-amp speakers? How?

Can the SA XR-10 do it?

David Judah

Screenwriter
The Party Mode gives you two stereo pairs. The guy who started the buzz on these Panasonics from Newform Research, John Meyer, was recommending bi-amping them in a stereo configuration using an active crossover(a Behringer model was the one he was using).

DJ

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I could bi-amp my speakers but I wouldn't use a crossover, I'd let each crossover in the speakers do the work. Only problem is, my PSB Image 6T towers only divide the tweeter from the 3 woofers. I don't imagine thats gaining a whole lot in power. The tweeter probably use much less power than the three woofers. Oh well, too bad you can' bridge these amps!

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
You're analyzing too much. Buy one if you can find one. Please trust me on this. You will not be disappointed in the least.

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator

That's the one. They were $600. If they actually have it in stock you cannot possibly come close to the SQ for that price.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Right. Well, I'm thinking about it. Just wondering though, the two receivers I have now are rated at 100 and 105 watts per channel into 8 ohms. My speakers are 6 ohms so I see a bit more power out of the receivers amp. Are all these Panasonic digital receivers rated at 100 watts into 6 ohms? Thats really kinda lame. Anyways, I may give one a try.

scott>c

Second Unit
I have the sa-xr25 and love it. I just purchased the 10 and cant wait 2 see if theres a diference. I`m definately not getting another solid state amp. The panny definately kicks!!

David Judah

Screenwriter
Yes, Danny, I'm using my XR25 for both hi-rez formats. IMO, despite the analog-->PWM conversion, I'm not detecting much, if any differences, from my previous set-ups. The caveats are: I was using a Pioneer and Yamaha receiver as pre-pros, so while both DVD-A & SACD sounded very good to me, I don't know how "clean" their analog pass-throughs were. Also, I didn't A/B them at the same time;I'm going from memory.

I have a variety of discs from both formats, both average and exceptional, and I haven't been disappointed.

DJ

David Judah

Screenwriter
Yes, Danny, I'm using my XR25 for both hi-rez formats. IMO, despite the analog-->PWM conversion, I'm not detecting much, if any differences, from my previous set-ups. The caveats are: I was using a Pioneer and Yamaha receiver as pre-pros, so while both DVD-A & SACD sounded very good to me, I don't know how "clean" their analog pass-throughs were. Also, I didn't A/B them at the same time;I'm going from memory.

I have a variety of discs from both formats, both average and exceptional, and I haven't been disappointed.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks