Panasonic XP30 question...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Shelby_B, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Shelby_B

Shelby_B Auditioning

I recently purchased a brand new XP30. Overall, it is obviously excellent, but there is one thing that bothers me after having seen some movies (not many) on it. Certain edges on certain backgrounds seem to look "bitmapped" or jagged. In particular, this includes sharp edges (not square though) on a very bright background such as the silouette of a hat against a bright sunlit sky or simply someone's eyes. This really bugs me. I realize this may be a DVD problem, a player problem, or a TV problem, or many other things, too. I was hoping someone could tell me which. Shoot it to me straight, I can take it. The line-up: Panasonic XP30 DVD player, a Mitsubishi WS65413 Television, Indiana Jones RotLA and ToD, X2, and the fact that I haven't utilized a calibration disk yet.

BTW: This is using component video conns. and Prog-Scan.

2. BeatCrazy

BeatCrazy Stunt Coordinator

Have you enabled both "progressive scan" output configutation options on your XP30?

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Yes look closely at the front panel LCD and make sure the "PROGRESSIVE" indicator is visible. Make sure on your TV that SVM is disabled and it is calibrated correctly - not too high a sharpness setting for example.

4. Shelby_B

Shelby_B Auditioning

I'll check into those factors ASAP but it may be a day or two before I can. Thanks for the pointers; I'll get back to you. I only recall enabling one "Progressive Scan" output configuration, though, not "both"...we'll see...thanks again

5. Don_Berg

Yes you need to enable both places. One is in the special setup menu and the other is under the regular menu sequence. To verify its actually on, just check for the "PROGRESSIVE" word appearance on the front LCD panel. Sounds like you are just getting interlaced output which would give you the artifacts you are seeing.

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Does anybody remember what pulldown mode one is supposed to use--Auto-1 or Auto-2? I have a CP-72 and was playing around with an S-35 in the same room and the remote was operating both players at the same time, and I think I messed up the CP-72's pulldown mode setting by accident.

7. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Use Auto 1.

8. Shelby_B

Shelby_B Auditioning

Ah, I found both locations and now P-scan is officially on. I also turned off VSM. The results were nice although I haven't watched a whole movie, just a few scenes to check for a difference. Hopefully after I get my setup calibrated with Avia I'll be able to watch Finding Nemo again and really see some HT muscles flex. Thanks again for the pointers guys. Keep up the good work. We n00bs appreciate you experience and help.

9. Don_Berg

Good job, Shelby - now you will experience the great progressive video quality like us other XP30 owners!

10. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I wanna be an XP30 owner too! where can I get one these days??? Shelby, where'd you get yours?

11. Don_Berg

Check EBAY, thats where I got mine a few months ago.

12. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

I just checked Sharper Image's web site and it's still available at $366. I am considering it myself.

13. ChrisYK

ChrisYK Stunt Coordinator

I hope you're not serious. I don't think there's anyway I would pay that much for the XP30. Even $300 would be a stretch for me. Then again, if you've got to have it, you've got to have it.

Check on eBay before you throw down that much money on the XP30.

14. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    That's got to be a misprint. I paid $199 for mine last summer at one of their retail stores in Dallas. Brand new.