Panasonic WIdescreen HDTV Convergence

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jordan Herzlich, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Jordan Herzlich

Jordan Herzlich Auditioning

Does anyone know where I can find an expert guide on doing a convergence to my 53" widescreen HDTV Panasonic tv? I have digital cable via IO Cablevision and Direct tv and the picture is very good but certain colors like Red and Green can get a little blurry at times. The blur mostly occurs on a Red or Green Sports uniform or in movies. It is not too noticeable but I would like the perfect picture and I know I have to do a convergence but the instruction manual is somewhat limited with instructions on convergence.

I have been considering going to a local home theater store near me in Long Island, NY but I hear many store personnel not experts in convergence either. If anyone knows of a site or booklet I can buy I would appreciate it. I believe my convergence is 165 point digital. Thanks and I will monitor this thread for responses.

2. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

Go to http://www.panny.tv/ and download the service manual. That will explain on how you can do convergence in the service menu.

3. Jordan Herzlich

Jordan Herzlich Auditioning

I reviewed the service manual and my HDTV channels are perfect with great picture. However my analog channels 2-96 for IO Cablevision show a little fuzz with colors such as green and red. Its not a major problem(most people watching the tv wouldn't notice), but I notice and I would like a perfect picture on all channels.

Does anyone know why the HDTV pictures have no convergence issues with colors, yet the analog channels show some fuzziness around some colors? How would one correct the problem on the analog channels without negatively impacting the perfect picture with the HDTV channels? Thanks if anyone knows the answers.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It's probably just the low-quality nature of the standard def, if your other pictures are fine.

5. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

Panny has different settings for HD and SD sources, so you will have to do convergence seperately for each source. And for SD source there is a different convergence setting for the zoom mode as well.

What I suggest is use a DVD player to one of the component inputs and do the convergence for that setting. I highly recommend using a setup DVD like Avia or DVE. You can find them on internet.

6. JoeRiley

JoeRiley Stunt Coordinator

Jordan, HTF user "JohnnyG"... he has a website that sells the panny 53" convergence grids, which are a HUGE help when doing the service mode convergence adjustments.

Here's the direct link: http://www.nbtelectronics.com/files/...y_overlays.htm

I still need to order myself one, and will be very soon.