Panasonic vs. Toshiba dvd-audio/progressive

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by peter_i, Mar 25, 2002.

1. peter_i

peter_i Second Unit

First time poster here. Thanks for allowing me on.

I was trying to decide between a new panasonic dvd rp82 which does not come out until possibly July here in Canada and a Toshiba sd5700 which has both dvd-audio and hdcd. Is Hdcd such a big deal on a player? Is there a quite a difference and is it that desirable, hdcd I mean? I tried out an early model panasonic progressive player and was amazed by just the difference it made in audio and video over my 4 year old Pioneer player. I'm not sure if I can wait till the new panasonic comes out in July because I'm looking to upgrade both tv and dvd player now in the next couple of weeks. Should I hold out or is this Toshiba just as good? Help!!

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

The 5700 is fine but has the Chroma Bug. IMO, even with the Bug the picture quality is excellent. This may or may not be an issue to you depending on your particular set. It also does not have true reverse/still. It does have aspect ratio control which is a must and a very good menu layout. HDCD is nice to have if the DVD player is your source for CD music in your system.

The prices of the 5700/4700 have been dropping fast so they are very good buys right now.

3. peter_i

peter_i Second Unit

Now I'm worried, one of the things I really liked about the Panasonic rp56 was that it had a nifty still and slow reverse feature on it, which sounds like the 5700 doesn't have. I'm gonna buy a Toshiba widescreen tv 50inch to pair up with it so I wonder if the chroma bug will really show. Insofar as hdcd is concerned, I'll use it to listen to music more often because of the dvd-a and the hdcd capabilities but probably only for those. Is there much of a sound difference with hdcd encoded discs compared to normal ones? I'm beginning to think it would be best going with the newer panasonic coming out instead, they're excellent players all around without unfortunately hdcd.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If you are planning to buy a 16x9 TV, the Panasonic RP-91 offers additional features over the RP-56 that would be beneficial (at an added cost, though). The RP-91 includes an automatic aspect ratio control that (1) scales non-anamorphic widescreen (i.e. letterbox) transfers to provide a superior picture over the zoom mode on most 16x9 TV's, and (2) allows you to leave your TV in FULL mode at all times, even when viewing supplemental material that alternates between anamorphic, full frame and letterbox formats.

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

I have a 5700, and HDCD discs sound MUCH better. Of, course, it depends on what music you listen to as to whether you will encounter a lot of HDCDs. I'm a classic rock old-fart type, so I have had a LOT of my favorite stuff reissued in HDCD:Beach Boys Capitol re-issues, Joni Mitchell, anything Neil Young has had anything to do with, all new Grateful Dead releases and re-issues, Springsteen box, Tom Petty box, Kinks remasters, etc.---all sound really great! I feel that for like the $20-$50 difference over the 4700, it's the best upgrade you could possibly get.

6. peter_i

peter_i Second Unit

Hey, Larry,

If u don't mind me asking, do u notice this chroma bug thingie on your tv? Is it a big screen tv? I'm asking this because I'm buying a widescreen 50 inch tv to go with it and the chroma bug problem may be more noticeable. I too am a big fan of the older releases such as Van Halen, Steve Earle, Beach Boys et al. and have also noticed that the newer remasters have hdcd encoding on them. I found out that the newer Panasonics won't be out till August and I don't know if I can wait seeing as I'm getting the tv in the next couple of weeks. Is the progressive scan good on the Toshiba?

7. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I bought and returned my Toshiba 5700.

First off, I had only ONE HDCD out of 1100 CDs that I own, so unless you actually have HDCDs, it might not be a big deal. The CD was the reissue of "Stop Making Sense". We tried a lot of different combinations in testing digital vs. analog outputs and although there was a noticable difference, it wasn't NEARLY as good as people said it is.

The chroma bug is there, but hardly noticable.

The BIGGEST problem I had with the unit was that it's too stupid to output DVD-Audio analog without acutally changing the output setting to "Analog 6 Channel". The JVC 723GD that I have now (which I'm replacing with a Panasonic RP91) is set to "Bitstream", but is intelligent enough to know that when you're using a DVD-Audio disc, to send the 6-channel output out the analog jacks. With the Toshiba, even if you set your receiver to listen on the analog lines, you get stereo only and noise in the right speaker. Only when you select "Analog 6-Channel" do you get the proper audio, but then you have to switch BACK to listen to a DVD movie. VERY annoying if you listen to a lot of different formats like I do.

As someone here said, if you have a 16x9 display, seriously look into the JVC players (but they have the Star Wars subtitle bug) or, the one I'm getting, the Panasonic RP91.

Mike

[edit - punctuation]