What's new

Panasonic vs JVC (1 Viewer)

David Massey

Agent
To anyone thinking of buying a Panasonic DVD recorder take a look at the JVC and think again. I have been using both for awhile now and can tell you that the JVC is a far superior machine for only a slightly higher price. The advantages are almost too long to list here but first and most important is picture, the JVC definitely has a noticably better picture than the Panasonics, it also uses more of the disc giving 2 hours 14 minutes in SP on a DVD-R, the Panasonic records for 2 hours and stops even though there is still space left on the disc. Panasonic gives only 4 record speeds, unless timer recording with flexible record, the JVC is adjustable in 5 minute increments from 1 to 6 hours giving the ability to get the best possible recording with available disc space. It also records to RW discs the Panasonics do not. The list of advantages goes on and on, too many to list here. The only disadvantages that I have found are disc labeling, Panasonic gives more options, and quick timer recording, the JVC though it holds 2 hours 14 minutes will only let the quick timer be set for 2 hours in SP. To anyone who wants a hard drive they are due to come out very soon if they haven't already.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
David, out of curiosity, which 2 machines are you comparing (ie model number)? Thanks.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
David, as in your previous posts on this subject, the failure to specify which models are being described limits the value of your comments. Some of your criticisms of "the Panasonic" simply don't apply to the E80, which will record more than 2 hours on a disc at SP (I have many such recordings) and which does offer flexible recording for normal use, not just with timer recording.

That's a good reason not to buy a JVC unit at the moment. IMO, getting a DVD recorder without a hard drive is a mistake.

M.

David Massey

Agent
Not everyone needs a hard drive, I have no need or use for one so why pay extra for something I don't need. Check out the picture difference between any Panasonic and the JVC. There is only one JVC without VHS.

David Massey

Agent
In the three years I've been using DVD recorders I've used 4 different Panasonics E10, E20, E50, E55, a Pioneer, don't remember model number and the JVC DR-M10 and I can tell anybody without any doubt that the JVC is by far the superior machine. The biggest difference in the panasonics is the picture gets a little worse on each new machine. I have a 4DTV satellite receiver which is the digital master broadcast with the best picture possible next to HDTV or pre-recorded DVDs, and can see the picture difference between different recorders. I have also opened every machine I have ever used to compare circuitry, drives, etc., and again the JVC wins. The video circuits are shielded in the JVC to keep out noise and interference, the Panasonics are not. The cooling fan on the Panasonics comes on when the unit gets hot and shuts off after cooling, the JVC fan runs whenever the unit is on never letting it get hot. Anyone who knows anything about electronics knows that the number one cause of part failure is heat, so again the JVC wins.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I don't agree with your comparison. I own two Panasonic E80's and the new JVC M10 and see no real recording difference. As an example, I recently recorded King Solomon's Mines and Salem's Lot on the E80 hard drive at the SP speed. I then flagged the commercials and dubbed to a DVD-R in real time. Both came out fabulous.

In comparison I recorded several episodes of SG 1 along with the new Atlantis on the JVC with excellent results. Recording wise I just don't see any noticeable difference.

Play wise their is a difference. The JVC uses a motion based progressive scan for processing the 3:2 pulldown which is more accurate than flag readers. Especially for home DVD's that have no flags and even many commercial DVD's that are flagged incorrectly.

You will not be disappointed buying either the Panasonic or JVC. Stay away from the +R/RW's the -R/RW and RAM is the way to go. If you are going to spend the money you might as well get the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks