1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Panasonic unveils combo Dolby Vision / HDR10+ UHD BD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by gadgtfreek, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    If the Panny player has two HDMI outputs you can take the receiver out of the equation and just have to replace your display.;)

2. Peter Yee

Peter Yee Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

True enough. But, I'm hoping not to have to replace any hardware for what is essentially the same capability as Dolby Vision - dynamic HDR.

This all very much reminds me of the Dolby Digital vs. DTS series of matching sound standards from shortly after the inception of DVD onward. It's not about providing something necessarily superior/different to the consumer as it is about who gets paid for what license or certification program. Now, if you tell me that HDR10+ is a marked improvement over Dolby Vision, I might be interested. But it's not going to save me any money. Every link in my current setup already has paid for Dolby Vision licenses.

At least I got my display at a good price last year. Sigh.

3. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    That's a big unknown, but the 203 is "old" enough that I'd be willing to bet adding HDR10+ support would not be possible without a hardware change.

4. Peter Yee

Supporter

Except that as far as I understand, the player isn't doing any processing of the HDR metadata - it just has to recognize the particular HDR tag and then pass the HDR metadata along to the receiver and then to the display. It's only the display that really cares about the metadata. The player and receiver apparently have to recognize the particular HDR tag only to the extent that they know it is something to be passed along and that they do not have to do any processing of their own.

Each element (player, receiver, display) of my viewing chain got a firmware upgrade to support Dolby Vision after I had purchased it. Given that HDR10+ does pretty much the same thing that Dolby Vision does, I'd like to think that a firmware upgrade would suffice. I do understand that there are financial reasons for the manufacturers not to provide an upgrade to HDR10+, but I'd like to think that the hardware should be capable without further modification. Wishful thinking on my part, probably. :)

5. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    And yet not every 4K UHD player on the market was able to be firmware upgraded to support Dolby Vision. I don't think it's just a matter of code. You could always contact Oppo support and ask them directly.

6. Message #26 of 26 Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Peter Yee

Supporter

I think I will contact Oppo and see what they have to say. Or maybe drive over to the Oppo's US HQ a few minutes away from me and see what they have to say. I'll probably have to ambush a sales engineer in the parking lot. ;)

Update: Oppo is fast. They said, "Support for additional HDR formats is something we are investigating, but we don’t have any information to release at this time."

dpippel likes this.