Panasonic TV question....weird lines...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JeffV, Jul 16, 2003.

1. JeffV

JeffV Auditioning

I just got a Panasonic CT-36HL43 and I am noticing an odd issue with the picture. It is most noticable on 4:3 DVDs where the black letterbox bars meet the color image. The issue is that on many scenes where the images has a lighter colored area, there is a thin white line where the black bar meets the color. It is on both the top and bottom of the image. The images seems fine and I have never seen anything odd in it. It is just distracting to see it and I know it should not be there.

My set does not do anamorphic compression on signals less than 1080i (which is really too bad), but I don't think this would cure the problem. I suspect it is a result of some sort of line doubling.

Any help, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to ship this back for service.

Thank you!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Your contrast ("picture" in Panasonic nomenclature) and brightness are set too high when you're screening a film wider than 1.78:1. Reduce the contrast level so that the inner dead space merges seamlessly with the rest of the unused portion of the screen (these are not "bars"; nothing is being obscured).

If the Panasonic doesn't do 480p in a 16:9 window for 16:9-encoded DVDs, can't you convert the signal to 1080i to watch them in a proper 16:9 window?

3. Dan Seewald

Dan Seewald Stunt Coordinator

Jack,
    I too see the line on 2 of my TVs, and my set is calibrated using Video Essentials.

Dan

4. JeffV

JeffV Auditioning

Yes, that is my current plan, to get a Samsung HDTV STB and upsonvert to 1080i so that I can view 16:9 using the anamorphic compression. I did figure out how to get rid of the white line...I set my DVD to progressive (which I thought I had already done) and it was gone. Still there on TV and video games, but I will see if that improves with the STB also. I appreciate the tip on the controls being set wrong, but I think it was something else. My set was also calibrated with Avia, so I think it was pretty decent...

Thanks!

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

So you're both seeing a single, thin white line? And in Jeff's situation the line disappears when the DVD player does the deinterlacing. Weird.

6. JeffV

JeffV Auditioning

Yes, it was very strange, but I changed it back and forth to verify and sure enough. I wonder if it has to do with some sort of line-doubling? I have no idea...