What's new

Panasonic TV audio output (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I have a Panasonic CT-27SF26. I've had it for more than 2 years. I just have been hooking things up with a Pioneer VSX-D811S receiver and speakers and such.

I hooked the "to audio amp" connections from the Panasonic to the Pioneer receiver TV/SAT analog audio input.

The Panasonic has three options:

1. Speakers On - TV speakers operate normally

2. Off and Variable Audio Output - TV speakers off - audio adjustable by TV

3. Off and Fixed Audio Output - TV speakers off - audio adjustable by the external amplifier.

The thing is that options 2 and 3 don't seem to be working as expected. Option 2 seems to send the audio to the receiver, but it also seems to be coming out of the TV speakers at the same time. The TV volume control does affect the level of audio going to the receiver. Option 3 does turn off the TV speakers, but mysteriously I can't adjust the volume with the receiver. It is a constant high level. Maybe there is some incompatability between the TV and receiver or there is something to adjust.

I presume that other Panasonic TVs have similar options and so even if you don't have this TV you might have a similar experience.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Neil

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
that's weird. a audio out is an audio out...only option is fixed or variable - you shouldn't need to adjust anything.
opt 2 should turn off the tv speakers and allow you to control the volume via the tv remote
opt 3 should turn off the tv and present a fixed level to the receiver - you need to use the pioneer remote to control the volume.
you're saying with opt 3 that you can't control the volume via the receive? that doesn't sound right...the receiver should be able to control the volume regardless of what you are listening to (cd, tuner, etc.).
can you confirm? or am i just spacing on you....

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't seem that the volume changes when I change it on the receiver with option #3. It sounds just as loud when I dial the volume control all the down as it does where I started - which was at the variable audio output volume (-30 db).

Maybe I should try a different inputs on the receiver.

There is a message on the screen which says, "speakers off", for both options, when I adjust things with the TV remote, but I still hear sound coming out of the TV speakers on option #2.

It is all very weird.

Neil

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
definitely try a different input. it makes no sense that you can't control the volume for any input on your receiver with the receivers own volume knob. truly bizarre.
it sounds like you've got the right setting on the tv, but if you're still hearing sound (even when the display says 'speakers off') then i suspect somethings up with the tv too.
oh yeah. also, check to see if there are other 'audio out' type connections on the tv. my old zenith had three different type of audio-outs! ack!

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Well, I played around with things and discovered that the problem is with the TV. :frowning: It just doesn't turn the speakers off at all, even though there is an on-screen message that they are off. I thought that the speakers were off on Option #3, but that was not the case. It was the TV speakers producing the loud noise and not the receiver/speakers. it is just that it was so loud I thought it was coming out of the center speaker.
I sent a message to the Panasonic email help line, but I am going to guess that they won't be able to help.
Has anyone else encountered such a problem? Is there anything I can do except just live with it?
I guess using the variable output option and hearing the audio coming out of both the 5.1 speakers and the TV speakers might not be that bad.
Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks