What's new

Panasonic TU-HDS20 (In Stock) vs Sony SAT-HD100? (1 Viewer)

MikeM

Screenwriter
I took a trip over to Crutchfield's site, and low and behold the Panasonic TU-HDS20 DTV set-top box is actually in stock.
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...UHDS20&o=M&a=0
It also looks like the price on it dropped a bit to match the Sony SAT-HD100. So here's the dilemma, do I buy the Panasonic now, or wait for the Sony?? Both are now the exact same price.
Anyone have any reason to buy one of the other, besides the name brand?
Since I have an Sona Wega XBR400 TV, I'd really like to stick with the Sony just in case, but it's nice to know at least one of them is shipping.
------------------
Mike McGee, Inaka Software
Link Removed

Dave Bach

Auditioning
I noticed three days ago the Panny was in stock at Crutchfield at $999, but check your link... it's already out of stock at $799.
Dave

Roger Clark

Stunt Coordinator
Search the HDTV thread for items on the Panasonic unit, it has some complaints registered. Most notebly a very slow guide to the point some people sent it back.
I'm waiting for the Sony myself for a couple of reasons.
I had the DST3000 for about a week and sold it, here's why:
1) I own two Sony DBS boxes now (an A50 and B50) and have gotten used to the interface.
2) The DST3000 converts everything to 1080i on the component outs so I can't control aspect ratio on my Toshiba TW65H80 widescreen. I wound up watching 4:3 material through the s-video outputs (480i) and HD through the component outputs requiring switching inputs on both units everytime I changes from 4:3 stations to HD or back.
3) The Guide is of the roller type and covers the entire screen (translucent), but my wife and I much prefer the Sony style. The Sony box will work like the current ones, the bottom half of the screen will be the guide while the top half is split with the left side showing the currently running picture and the right side showing the synopsis.
The Panasonic unit would have solved the aspect ratio problem with it's hybred output mode, but the slow guide complaints and the full screen guide like the DST unit have made me want to see the Sony before making another jump.
Roger

MikeM

Screenwriter
Dave, when I made the post, the Panasonic was in stock. Now it's not.
Roger, thanks for the excellent examples! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for! I'm with you, I'm holding out for the Sony.
------------------
Link Removed

Dave Bach

Auditioning
Mike,
Actually, I meant it more like... "Holy Crap! It's out of stock already!"
But I am now sold on waiting for the Sony myself.

MikeM

Screenwriter
I hear ya.
So does it look like the price of $799 is pretty much standard from all sites?
The reason I ask is that the Panasonic box was originally $999 in most listings, and now I see it at $799 as well.
------------------
Link Removed

Darold_Brins

Agent
Roger,
I am sorry to hear that you sent the DST-3000 back.
"2) The DST3000 converts everything to 1080i on the component outs so I can't control aspect ratio on my Toshiba TW65H80 widescreen. I wound up watching 4:3 material through the s-video outputs (480i) and HD through the component outputs requiring switching inputs on both units everytime I changes from 4:3 stations to HD or back."
I too own the DST-3000 with a TW56X81. I have the DST-3000 send everything though the component inputs and use the DST to handle the aspect ratio. If the signal is SD you have the capability to view it in one of three modes: Standard, Full, and Theater Wide (similar to the modes on the TV), if the signal is HD then you are stuck (and I don't consider this bad) with Theater Wide.
Darold "Brins" Brinley

Barry_B

Auditioning
My first post.
And I too have been debating over the issue of the Sony vs. the Panasonic.
I currently own the Sony SATA55 (Dolby), and although I like the format of the guide screen. BUT....I have had nothing but trouble with the Sony. Locks up once a month and has to be unplugged for several minutes. CONSTANTLY requires access from the satellite for the guide, sometimes several times while on the same guide screen just scrolling through the menu. I have heard...no reputable source, that the SONY is having problems which is why the introduction date keeps getting pushed back.
With all of the problems with the SONY...should I try something different??? After all didn't SONY, as much as I like them, try to establish the Beta format, now the memory stick. Always different from the established standard and not always a better idea? Should I expect the same from the SATHD100. More of Sony's better ideas?
Would love to hear your input.

Roger Clark

Stunt Coordinator
Darold,
===============================
I too own the DST-3000 with a TW56X81. I have the DST-3000 send everything though the component inputs and use the DST to handle the aspect ratio. If the signal is SD you have the capability to view it in one of three modes: Standard, Full, and Theater Wide (similar to the modes on the TV), if the signal is HD then you are stuck (and I don't consider this bad) with Theater Wide.
===============================
I am aware of the aspect "control" in the DST3000, I just didn't like it's stretch mode nearly as much as my TW65H80's TW1 stretch mode for 4:3 material. Everything looked way too stretched and there is no control over it (at least in the TV, I can use service geometry adjustments to fine tune the TW1 look). I'm going to take a close look at the Sony (if it ever comes in).
Roger

MikeM

Screenwriter
Well, my decision has been made. I just pre-ordered the Sony, and hopefully it will actually ship soon. If there are any problems with it, I'll definitely post them here.
------------------
Link Removed

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Whatever you do, do NOT get the Panasonic box. It's so-but-oh-so bad we went back to the Good Guys manager who sold it to us (several months ahead of its street day) and said we wanted to return it, and he said he had bought one too and it was back on the shelf already. He apologized profusely and is allowing us to keep it until a unit of our choice hits the street. And he said he expects many other customers to take the return route as well. The remote is practically useless unless you point it straight at the unit. The display is pitiful and slow beyond description (you need to see it to understand what I mean). By any standards, NOT WORTH IT.
------------------
Gerardo

Roger Clark

Stunt Coordinator
The guy I purchased my DST3000 (sold now) from at OneCall, Brian, told me the Sony unit is due in the end of March. He was withing three days on the Toshiba.
I heard from another source that the Sony's would ship Valentines day, but doesn't look like that happened.
Roger

MikeM

Screenwriter
After clicking on the "What's in the Box" link on Crutchfield's for the Panasonic, I see that it includes a nice collection of cables:
* 34" "F" type coax cable
*56" RCA stereo cable
*56" component video cable
Just curious if anyone knows what cables, (if any), are included with the Sony box. Thanks.
------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks