Panasonic TU HDS20 HD Box - opinions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinLandry, Oct 10, 2002.

1. KevinLandry

KevinLandry Extra

I got one on clearance for under $150.

It's too slow. I have the current software (which makes it a little quicker - but not much). Noisy fan too.

I think I read somewhere about a memory upgrade.....does anyone have experience with this?

2. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

For $150.00 you can't get hurt. I have this box and it sucks....if it was any slower... whew.. I paid more than you did for it. Hey, it works.

3. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Kevin,

For the price you paid for it, I think you can hardly complain. The Panny has advocates and detractors in pretty equal number--probably because of its original $799 MSRP. To be fair, it's one of the few boxes that will pass both 720p and 1080i natively. I'm assuming that the slowness that you refer to is with regards to channel changing--that's never going to change and is about as fast as it's ever gonna get. As for the noisy fan, you need to send it back to Panasonic for some hardware upgrades--call Panasonic's Tech Support for it. Otherwise, do a search over at AVS Forum for "TUHDS20" and "Elgin". If you decide that the unit's not a keeper, I'm sure you can get your money back by simply selling it. Good luck.