Panasonic - trouble reading new DVD's

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave>h, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Dave>h

Dave>h Second Unit

Not sure if this is a hardware or software issue but thought I would check with other members to see if they are experiencing the same problem.

My Panasonic DVD player (5 disk player RC 232 maybe?) has recently started having problems reading new DVD's. I bought Alladin on the weekend, and it won't play either disk. I rented Kill Bill Volume 2 and it would not play that either. It also has a problem with disk 5 of Season 2, Six Feet Under (the other disks play fine).

Is there a new type of DVD out there that maybe my DVD player is having trouble reading? Or is it just getting old - 3 years old now.

The message I get on the DVD player is: "This type of disk cannot be played, please insert another disk".

Is anyone else expereiencing this problem with new releases, or is it just me.

Thanks very muc h,

Dave

T

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Check to see if the DVDs you are trying to play are "region" compatible with your player. Perhaps the DVDs are the wrong region number.

3. Dave>h

Dave>h Second Unit

All the disks are region 1, I checked.

It is only in the last couple of months that it has been a problem. Admittedly, it does it on some disks at first and then it will read them after a few tries. But on the disks I mentioned, they do not play at all. I rented Man on Fire last night and the player would not read it. I tried switching the disk around from space 1 to 3 or 3 to 5 etc and nothing. I tried turning the player off and on, nothing. I have even unplugged it and still nothing.

I am wondering if it is a combination of the dvd player being tired (older, say the motor is going or something like that, had this problem with a cd player too) or if there is some new disk technology that is the cause of the problem.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

4. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Well, if the disks are all the right region, it could be a dirty lens. Try getting a laser lens cleaner. If the problem still persists, it could be the player is just giving up the ghost. I have heard of other people having similar problems with their carousel style players, but, never having had one I can't really say.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

With Panasonics, this is often a sign that the optical pickup is deteriorating. I had to have my Panasonic H1000 serviced after about 4 years of heavy usage, and the symptoms were very similar to what you've described.

M.

6. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

My 8 month old Panny 5 disc player started pixellating around the layer changes of discs, both old and new. I took it back to the merchant I had purchased it from (Sears) and they immediately offered me an "in store credit" on the unit. What they couldn't offer me was a replacement player. It seems that they had been having so many problems with the Panny carousels that they had stopped stocking them!

7. Dave>h

Dave>h Second Unit

Thank Micheal, that was the information I was looking for.

I will pick up a lense cleaner and see if that does the trick.

Appreciate the help and the heads up.

Dave

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

My PC's Pioneer DVD drive has trouble reading and playing some DVD's. Cleaning the lens was a big help.