Panasonic TH42PD50 42" Plasma EEEK?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Matthew Perry, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Matthew Perry

Matthew Perry Stunt Coordinator

Hey

Just got my first Plasma this evening and had it all setup and turned it on to watch some TV. Anyway my wife and I sat down to watch our standard satellite PVR (ExpressVU) which is hooked up using S-Video (No component option on it) and I find all modes (except 4:3) distort the image horribly to the point its hard on my eyes and makes me dizzy.

I dont know if we got used to it after a bit or what but I have to admit it looks a bit better. [​IMG]

Just wondering if anyone has recommended settings I should have set in the picture settings possibly? Any hidden tweaks etc...?

Is it safe to watch some TV in 4:3 mode as well with the gray bars along side?

Please give me some tips guy's! [​IMG]

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Gray bars should not be a problem. I have been watching 4:3 a lot with gray bars for 18 months, no problem at all. Black would be harder on the set.

As far as your other issue, I suggest you look over at AVS forum, (flat panel) and post a question about the stretch modes there.

3. Matthew Perry

Matthew Perry Stunt Coordinator

I have posted a couple on AVS forum as well with good feedback, thanks a lot.

So you use the gray bars without issue for 18 months, thats great to know. do you try and match the TV viewing with gray bars to having it stretched to reduce risk though?

Thanks! [​IMG]

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I don't like stretch modes on any display I've ever seen. (Similarly, I get a headache with all the stretching going on between the edges and center of the screen. Sports with any kind of stretch mode is particularly bad IMO.) I have the pro 37pwd8uk Panasonic, and I almost always use zoom mode for 4:3 content. The irony being, a lot of people prefer the stretch modes on the commercial Panny's more than the consumer models, but I still don't like 'em. [​IMG]