Panasonic TH-50PX60U

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike JM, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Mike JM

Mike JM Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have this model?

How is it?

Where can I get it online?

Where can I find reviews for it?

Thanks.

2. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Google it. Lots of places claim to have it or "coming soon". Not many reviews yet since its new.

3. Mike JM

Looks like Circuit City might have it. But I just started to research Plamas a few hours ago and stumbled upon this one. Contrast ratio of 10,000:1 ? wow. I'd like to see a few reviews first at least. I was planning on waiting for 1080p, but I think this one looks pretty good for the price. And I have no idea what the 600U series will be like. 1080p for how much?

still looking.

4. Mike JM

It's tough to compare models of different brands when specs aren't coming from the same source.

For example Samsung claims their plamsas can produce over 300 billion colors or something crazy like that and the new Panasonic mode's (such as this one) claims 29 billoin colors...at once (?)

There's a big difference here otherwise.

There's a few other specs that Samsung states they have. 12-bit processing or something...and there is no mention of that for the Panasonics.

And one site has the samsung with 10000:1 conrast ratio and the new Panasonic with "up to" 10000:1 contrast ratio. How is this different?

I guess my question is, how can I compare these models? Is there a site that breaks it down?

And does ayone have this or seen this tv anywhere yet?

5. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

I saw the Pansonic over the weekend and liked it a great deal. But then I am a Panasonic fan (I have the PHD-6UY) and not a fan of Samsung. The big problem for me and Samsungs is their processing (DLN-i?) that you can't turn off. I think that every Samsung I've seen has suffered from "clay face."

At this point I think the billions of colors and ridiculous contrast ratios mean nothing. The reality is all plasmas now have very good black levels and contrast and banding should be eliminated with the number of colors they can display.

My brother purchased this set and will be receiving it on Saturday 4/1. I will see if I have more info then.

SMK

6. Mike JM

Where did you see it? Does Circuity City have it on display yet? or Best Buy? Let me know what you and him think of it.

7. jimmy~e

jimmy~e Agent

There is a review of the TH-50PX60u on CNET and a thread with owners talking about their new plasma on AVScience Forum's Plasma/LCD discussion.

8. ChrisCAB

ChrisCAB Stunt Coordinator

I bought this model on Saturday, delivered yesterday. Unfortunately they can't install it until Thursday, but I have it temporarily sitting on a chest in the living room. I watched the Sopranos on it last night - looked amazing (connected via HDMI). I also watched CSI on dvd (connected via component) which also looked stunning. This is my first plasma, so I don't have any frame of reference for comparison other than the displays at Best Buy where this model looked much better than others. I have an Insignia 32" lcd panel in the bedroom. The Panasonic blows it away, but that's not really a fair comparison and, realizing that each technology has its advantages and disadvantages, I seem to be partial to plasmas.

9. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    sweet!!

I have not seen this set yet.

I do not agree that all plasmas now have "great" blacks. Some are much better than others. Processing and video noise are also major issues on some brands vs others. DNIe and in appropriate gammas are also reasons not to chose some brands / models.

I recently purchased a Panasonic 37PHD8uK, but broke the glass when I shipped it for using it during a Datacolor / ISF training class. I am hoping the new industrials will be released ASAP...it would be very nice for the insurance company to pay for an upgrade :)

I specifically chose the industrial over the consumer version because of the ability to isolate colors and then perform some color decoder adjustment functions which are not present in the consumer sets. For the record, the consumer sets have a fairly accurate color decoder, but I chose the industrial specifically for the pre mentioned abilities FOR TRAINING PURPOSES only. Also, the industrial is smaller due to not having built in speakers, so it will be easier to ship (and as I have found out, easier to break !! ) [​IMG]

10. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Planning on purchasing this. But good luck finding this in stock. Have to either special-order it, or get it online... [​IMG] Panasonic can't make them fast enough!

11. Mike JM

They arrived last week at my local Circuit City in Poughkeepsie, NY. I was playing around with it.

I'm still waiting for my tax return...I might buy it.....or if I can, wait for the 1080p model since I've waited so long already. lol....I suppose I could wait till forever but I'm getting one this year, I swear.