Panasonic TH-50PX500U 50" Plasma Boxing Day deal

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Marc Carra, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

I'm moving to a new apartment next month and unfortunatley need to sell my Sony Grand Wega 60" LCD set since it's just a bit to large for the new viewing area I have. So I decided to look around on Boxing Day just to get some ideas. Well getting ideas turned into getting a new TV. I lucked upon a Panasonic TH-50PX500U 50" Plasma at exactly half of the suggested retail here in Canada. I won't mention the store but it was one of the big electronics chains. They had 5 left brand new in the warehouse. I went home for an hour to do some quick research and when I returned they had 2 left. So I figured I could not pass up such a great deal. Besides, they have the 30 day money back guarantee so there was no huge risk.

So they deliver the set on Friday and I'm wondering what I should expect 'out of the box' Is there a break-in period for plasmas? How will the picture look right out of the box? If I run my copy of digital video essentials, should I get a decnet picture on the first day? it looked pretty amazing with the high def feed in the store which impressed me since most of the plasmas I've seen there look either oversharpened or noisy.

Oh, and it says there's a 'built in pedestal' stand. Can I sit this on the same coffee table type stand I'm using for my 60" Sony? Any recommendations for stands?

Thanks!

Marc.

2. John S

John S Producer

Nice display, pretty good out of the box. Brightness and contrast usually way high, but the colors on the panny plasma's seem accurate for the most part out of the box.

3. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

Thanks John. They deliver it tommorow, but I won't be able to use it until I move sometime next week. The wait is gonna kill me.

Marc.

4. John S

John S Producer

I really like the panny color engine on these. I find it actually seems to produce the most film like image of any display which some people like, some not so much. I happen to really dig it myself, probably the reason I will always like plasma no matter what the future brings.