Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY vs everything else

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jon Cheung, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Jon Cheung

Jon Cheung Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys. I've almost convinced my dad to buy this plasma. Unfortunately, they do not have this displayed at any stores around town so we're just goin off what people say about it which I haven't found a lot of. There is a review on plasmatvbuyingguide which I got most of my infomation from. Here are my questions. Is plasmatvbuyingguide a reputable site for their reviews? What are the pros and cons of this tv? Are they any other plasmas that would compare around the same price. The review is here http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...uy-review.html

Thanks, Jon

2. John S

John S Producer

I can't answer your question, but I can say that this is one of my favorite plasma displays. The color tracking and impact are really quite remarkable on it. I'd take it over many higher priced plasma's myself.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The Con with plasma sets are the usual suspects.

Weight ...
    Burn In Danger (far worse than crt)

Regards

4. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

The drawbacks to the commercial plasma displays are no stand, tuner, speakers and limited inputs. Some of those may or may not be of concern. Another possible concern would be that commercial screens usually have to be shipped or carried into a repair facility (vs in home service for the consumer displays) should any repair or warranty work be necessary.

Mort

5. AribaaD

AribaaD Auditioning

Hi there,

With regards to the warranty - I have seen some vendors DTV City, Plasmadepot.com that offer extended warranty from RepairMaster that offer in home service for this model also.

..AD

6. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

Michael,
    I respectfully disagree. Weight compared to what? LCD flat panels? A 42" plasma does not weigh much more than a comparably sized DLP or LCD RPTV and is certainly lighter in weight than most direct view and CRT based RPTVs.

With respect to burn-in, it is virtually a non-issue for video displays for the last couple of generations of plasmas. All phosphor based displays are poor choices for displaying static images such as signage and airport schedules. However, the current generation of Panny plamas have a 60,000 hour rating for phosphor half brightness, which is comparable to direct view CRT and LCD backlights and is ceratainly much longer than can be expected from the CRTs in an RPTV. Is burn-in a issue? Yes, but it is a minor one at most for a plasma used as a normal video display.

Regards,
    Steve

7. Brian_Pete

Brian_Pete Stunt Coordinator

FYI.

I just saw this exact display you are considering being used as a flight information display in an airport. The display was switched off of the flight information every couple of minutes with a full screen welcome message but it had no burn-in.

I wouldn't worry about burn-in too much on this model.

8. Ray O

Ray O Extra

9. Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright Stunt Coordinator

Talking to some Panasonic reps today, They said that the new plasmas such as the TH-42PWD7UY have almsot near CRT like burnin... And atleast in canada... if someone had a problem with burning they would swap em... I was quite impressed with that...

I think I am going to get a TH-42PWD7UY pretty damn soon...