Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY & DVI

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DatNghiem, Feb 5, 2004.

1. DatNghiem

DatNghiem Auditioning

Feb 3, 2004

I recently purchased a Panasonic plasma (EDTV) TH-42PWD6UY and connected to a Sony AVD-C70ES combination receiver/SACD/DVD player via component cables.

I will soon be getting a Sony HDTV directtv sat. receiver (SAT-HD200). As you all know, it comes with a DVI output.

Please help me with the following concerns:

Should I buy the additional DVI board for the plasma tv and connect the sat receiver directly to the tv via DVI cable?

Or should I connect the SAT-HD200 to the AVD-C70ES DVD player via component cables?

There are several options with both pro's and con's.

I guess one of my main concerns is if the additional cost of the DVI board, cable, etc worth it. Is DVI that much better than component video?

Does anyone have experience with this particular model, and seen a difference?

In general, I watch a lot of satelite and DVD movies.
    Thank you in advance for your time and help in this matter.

Best regards,

2. Thomas Brown

Thomas Brown Extra

Dec 2, 2003
    Sounds like the choice is convenience versus performance. Is there anyone else in the house (like a spouse) that will have trouble switching inputs? Realistically, only you can answer your question. I went ahead and bought a DVI/HDCP board anyway for future use. It seems like the industry is working its way in that direction. I don't want to need one two years down the road after Panasonic stopped making them.