What's new

PANASONIC TH-37PWD7UY can't display basic cable?!?! (1 Viewer)

Halen

Stunt Coordinator
I almost screwed up...I think. I was two steps from buying a PANASONIC TH-37PWD7UY plasma, but then I found out that it can't play basic cable...at least not without a cable box. I know I can get a card that has the coaxial conection but it doesn't have a cable tuner. See, all I have is a coax cable comming straight out of my wall cause I get free basic cable where I live. I have a nice HT system that I use only for movies.

Does anyone know if I can just use an old cablebox with this display? Thanks.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, These displays assume you will be using a VCR and it's tuner for such duties. Preferably an SVHS model so you cna connect via Svideo cables from it.

Halen

Stunt Coordinator
VCR?? Oh yes, I think I saw one of those at the local museum. :D heehee!

Thanks for your reply John. I honestly haven't owned a VCR in over 5 years. I do think however that my mother has an old analog cable box at her house that I think might work.

However, after reading the "Master Burn-In" thread, I'm not going to buy a plasma. I play marathon video game sessions and I'm just prone to bad luck in matters like burn-in.

John S

Senior HTF Member
In the modern HT world, except for built in HD tuners, internal NTSC tuners are rarely used. I won't even install anymore with the display as a source as it makes switching sources to complicated for users and the stereo L/R out from most of these just doesn't seem to perform as well as they used to.

Halen

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I understand. For a living room or HT room this make very much sense. But this display would only be for my bedroom where I'm getting rid of my HT equipment and my only sources are going to be an Xbox and standard basic cable. I wanted the Panasonic because it's EDTV and would be a perfect fit for basic cable, plus I'm not overly concerened with my video games being in HD.

Looks like I'll be getting a Sharp Aquos, Samsung, or JVC LCD. More than likely 26". :frowning: Far cry from the 37" of the Panansonic.:frowning:

Walter Scott

Agent
The Panasonic TH-37PD25U/P is the consumer version of this display. It has SD and HD tuners and speakers and a pedestal included.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks