What's new

Panasonic Tau velocity scan modulation (1 Viewer)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
does anyone know a way perhaps in the service menu to turn off the velocity scan modulation on the panasonic Tau?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Generally on Panny sets, you have to open the back up to get at it manually.

Regards

John-Miles

Screenwriter
damn..... thats nasty, doing stuff like that usually voids warranties dosent it?

Well thanks for the info, just another reason not to buy the Panny i guess.

Cheers

John

JasonWW

Agent
I just got a used Panasonic CT-32HX40 for 500 bucks! The DVD image is just fantastic, but I suspect the SVM is on. Analog cable channels don't look very good either. I'm guessing part of is just that I can see more of the defects in the signal. Maybe the line doubler is not working right. Anyway, how exactly do you turn off the SVM? My Sony had it in the regular menu. Is it only accessible in the Serviceman menu or do you have to unplug wires inside the set? Any pictures or detailed instructions would be appreciated.

Jason

nousername

Supporting Actor
I was playing around on the brand new 34-inch 16:9 Panasonic direct-view Tau the other day, and I was able to turn off the SVM via the user menu. So it appears that with this model at least, you don't have to go into the service menu or open the unit up. (Can't say the same for their new RPTVs as I did not have a chance to play around with them...)

JasonWW

Agent
Just in case I missed it in mine. Where in the menu did you find this option and what was it called?

nousername

Supporting Actor
I don't think it's in the user menu on your set. But on the new 34-inch 16:9 Tau, it is.

This was one of the first things I checked for because I knew that in the past, with other direct-view Tau models, you could not turn off the SVM via the user menu. It's one of the reasons I bought a Sony direct-view XBR instead last year. But on the new CT-34WX52, you can definitely turn off SVM via the regular menu...

JasonWW

Agent
Well, it was a steal for 500 bucks. What can I say.

Is there a way to tell for sure it's even on?

If anyone knows how to deactivate it, let me know.

nousername

Supporting Actor
I realize I didn't completely answer your question...
The menu item in the CT-34XW52 is called SVM or VM. Either way, it was a simple "On" or "Off" menu item. It was in a sub-menu called Video or Picture (forgive me if I don't know the exact name because I do not have it in front of me right now).
Anyway, here is an article on the exact TV you just bought:
Panasonic CT-32HX40
In the Sony KV-32XBR400 review, they talk about the Panasonic's non-defeatable SVM...
It was mainly because of this article that I ended up with the Sony KV-36XBR450...

JasonWW

Agent
Yea, I checked out that article an hour after buying it. I bought it on the spot, kind of impulsive. I've gone through a panasonic guide about the serviceman stuff, but it didn't mention the setting that turns off the SVM. So I didn't go into it. I'd actually prefer just pulling the cover off ond unplugging the wires. I know this is how it's done on some of the RPTV's.

nousername

Supporting Actor
Well, you're certainly braver than me! I would have no problem pulling off the back of a RPTV (because there's mostly empty space in there), but I'd be hesitant about pulling the back off a large CRT because of the risk of electrical shock...

Users who are viewing this thread