What's new

Panasonic Tau TV question (1 Viewer)

Keith Yatsuhashi

Stunt Coordinator
I have a tech coming to fix this TV this week, but I thought I'd ask a couple of questions here to get some idea what's going on with it. Basically, according to the store where I bought it, there's a problem with the yoke (sp?). The picture is tilted slightly, with the lower left corner being lower than the right corner. You can really see this with subtitles, they slant up to the right. The TV in the store had the same problem. They said it was something Panasonic is aware of. Also, I plugged a Phillips 711 into the component 2 input, and got nothing. No image. The S-VHS works fine, as does the component 1. I can't figure that one out. I think it's either in the player or the cables, because I switched the input to component 1 (same cables) and still had no image. (but the onkyo I have hooked up to component 1 works fine). I returned the cable, but didn't get a replacement because I wasn't sure where the problem was.

Adam Kmiec

Auditioning
The 32HX40 had a problem with the Yoke on early production runs. Examine the serial # on the back of the TV. Any made after Dec 1 should be ok any made before it had this problem. You will continue to have this problem even after the technicican fixes it. If you do a search for Mike Peter 32HX40 there is a long thread on this TV. Panasonic releases the 32HX41 shortly after releasing the 32HX40, the main reason was to fix this issue. This issue was not just in the 32HX40 it was present is all XXHX40 models. I reccomend returning it and having the dealer look at the serial # on the box to ensure you get one with a post Dec 1st date or pick up a xxHX41.
------------------
Hunny time to sell the kids I need to upgrade.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I have a replacement Tau coming on Wednesday. I thought I had a tilt problem but investigation showed it up as a geometry problem. Not only does my screen have a slight downward tilt left to right the geometry is not straight.
It is most noticeable on sports programs or financial programs with tickertapes. The tickertapes actually wiggle as they go across the screen. The lettering on them also gets squeezed on the far left of the screen.
You may want to use AVIA or VE to check for geometry problems before the tech arrives, if you have them.
My set has a late december (23 I think) serial number and it is the 32HX40. I have seen 2 of these in stores locally and neither had a tilt.

Keith Yatsuhashi

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't have the time or energy to switch the Onkyo to component 2. I suspect the problem is in the Phillips 711. I hacked into it to make it region free, so I haven't really wanted to take it into service. Anyway, the other option I didn't try was to use the same cable from the Onkyo to rule out a cable problem with the cable from the Phillips. Anyway, I am discourage by what I'm reading regarding the Tau. I called CS from the store I bought it, and they relayed my comments to the guy who's coming to fix the TV. They hinted that they had similar complaints, but couldn't get a solid answer from Panasonic. He may use the above messages as ammunition. Well to be honest for the price you pay for a Tau, I just want it to work the way it's supposed to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks