Panasonic Tau 27" for $360, Did I Do Good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Barnett, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Jeff Barnett

Jeff Barnett Extra

Yesterday I bought an open box Panasonic CT-27SX11 with no remote or manual at Best Buy for $360. They started at $375, I offered $350, and the sales manager met me halfway at $360. I use the universal learning remote that came with my receiver, so the remote issue isn't a big deal. I figure if I look around I can find the manual online. Anyway, since this one was normally $599 at BB and $549 at CC, I thought I couldn't go wrong. I hooked up my PS2 using the Monster Game component video cable, and WOW! I have never seen colors that bright. I upgraded from a 27" Magnavox with only one set of composite inputs. No S-video, definitely no component. Now with all the inputs on my Tau, I can skip my receiver when routing the video. I also love the composite output it features (because I didn't have one before). With my old TV, if I wanted to listen to regular cable through the receiver, I had to use the VCR as my cable tuner. Big pain in the butt. Either way, I am very happy with my purchase and wanted to see what the crew at HTF thought about it. I plan to rent the Avia setup disc tonight and adjust the settings to perfection. I did notice the redness that it exhibits, but was able to adjust it out for the most part. Any tips on picture settings would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day.

Jeff

2. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

I think that you got a TV that you like at a price that you think is fair. Sounds like a great deal to me.

3. JaimelM

JaimelM Agent

You got a good deal, you're happy, end of story.

4. Youssef

Youssef Stunt Coordinator

hey jeff i have the 24" of that and its awesome! actually i have last years model which is superior to this yrs model in that the 20" and 24" both come with front svideo and component inputs! for some reason panasonic left out component on this years 20" and 24" models and also raised the price of the tv by like $20. anyways i have an extra remote thats brand new and is identical to the one that should have came with your tv. if u want it ill sell it to ya for $35 including shipping. let me know.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

How good is the greyscale tracking on that Panny?

I have an old CT-20G11 mothballed in the bedroom closet as a backup to my main display and the bedroom unit. My only complaint about the lil' Panny is that its color temp is way up there (no color-temp options on the 20-incher)--the picture is so blue.

But Panasonics have always had good contrast ratios.

And you got a good deal.

6. Jeff Barnett

Jeff Barnett Extra

Youssef, thanks for the offer, but I'm gonna try and make do with my universal remote.

Jack, you'll have to talk down a little if you want me to compare the greyscale tracking. I'm not as savvy as some of you afficionados.

Any tips on picture adjustment are still welcome. I think I have it pretty good (can't find a setup disc for rent at BB or MG), but the skin tones still seem a little red.

Thanks

Jeff

7. Youssef

Youssef Stunt Coordinator

jeff....i have to have my brightness pretty high after i set it with avia, wut about yours?

8. Jeff Barnett

Jeff Barnett Extra

Unfortunately, I can't find the Avia disc for rent anywhere in Huntsville, Alabama. I'll try adjusting my brightness up a little and see what I think. Moving the tint a tad to the right took care of the overly dark flesh tones.

Jeff

9. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

Just a reminder to turn the sharpness way down and the contrast down from the default settings. Those are two of the most important adjustments that Video Essentials has you do.

Larry.

10. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Wow...that's an awesome price. I've been searching for a deal on this TV, and the lowest open box I can find it $489.

Any chance you could scan your receipt?

Aaron