What's new

Panasonic SA-XR58 News (1 Viewer)

Ken_F

Stunt Coordinator
Panasonic recently announced the successor to the popular XR57 in Europe. Whereas the XR57 was essentially a XR55 with added HDMI, the SA-XR58 improves upon the performance and usability of the product.

The SNR is improved from 85dB on the XR57 to 90dB on the XR58. The SA-XR58 also adds dual-amping in 5.1 mode, an on-screen display (OSD), and auto-setup and equalization via microphone. There is are no details yet on the extent of the equalization and room setup features.

All other inputs / outputs are the same as the SA-XR57. The announced MSRP in Europe is 549 Euros, which will probably translate into a U.S. MSRP of $599 to $699.

Look for a U.S. announcement on this product next month. Until then, you can view a datasheet and specifications on Panasonic's German site.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ken

I hope someone will provide a translation soon. I googled, but it looks like a real time consuming process.

In any case, you provided the highlights. Looks pretty good :)

Adam Stoltz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Stoltz
The xr58....the xr57 just came out not too long ago....it looks like the xr57 may have a lifespan of a new computer (6 mo) :) Interesting stuff!

FeisalK

Screenwriter
the XR58 seems more like a replacement for the XR70 line - with OSD and (now) auto setup and possibly EQ

DrSteve

Agent
Real Name
Steve
These amps seem pretty interesting and I'm sure it is great for movies...but what are they like for music?

Ken_F

Stunt Coordinator
They're great for DVD-Audio provided you have a DVD player that can output full resolution digital audio over HDMI. I believe the Oppo 970 can do that, as well as output SACD as PCM digital audio over HDMI.

The crossover limitations of the XR57 probably hurt its performance somewhat for multichannel music setups, but the XR58 is supposed to address those.

DrSteve

Agent
Real Name
Steve

LOL I don't have anything with an HDMI connection! So I guess that means I lose out on this one!

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Ken_F
what are the xover limitations of the XR57?

DrSteve
check out this thread about the older XR55 unit. on AVS forum there's a guy using it to power a pair of B&W 802Ds. the XR55 doesn't have HDMI, but if your audio source can go thru the digital input (optical/coax) it can be stellar

DrSteve

Agent
Real Name
Steve

But the owners do say it is not as good for analog sources which is everything else that I have. If I get the chance to listen to one I will :)

FeisalK

Screenwriter
"not as good for analog sources" compared to its digital input. its not bad, its just that because of the arcitecture of the Equibit chip the digital input is significantly better.

look at it this way, in any receiver - analog inputs normally go thru a ADC stage, gets processed (bass management, distance adjustment, maybe PLII processing) then thru a DAC then amplified. the same ADC stage happens in a XR55; it should be the same as an ordinary receiver - except the signal does not go thru the last DAC stage, in the XR it gets converted to PWM.

because it doesn't go thru the last DAC, it could be better than normal recievers :)

but it can't compare to digital inputs which does not go thru the ADC at all

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks