Panasonic SA-XR50 or Yamaha HTR-5740 ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bebert, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Bebert

Bebert Auditioning

Hullo! =)

I am moving in a condo next week. Until now, all my audio/video needs were taken care of using my main PC and computer speakers (Logitech Z-560s). In my new condo, I want to make my living room nice and clean and do not wish to use a PC.

I am a 80 % music/20% movies guy. My goal is to purchase a receiver that is great for music, and good for the movies. Even though my condo has concrete floors and walls, I don't expect to use a subwoofer or surrounds speakers at first. I am looking forward purchasing only left and right speakers with the receiver.

I am hesitant between these two models that present similar features, and priced the same here in eastern Canada (400 $ CAD).

Panasonic SA-XR50S
    or
    Yamaha HTR-5740

The Panasonic has S-Video inputs while the Yamaha doesn't. The Yamaha seems to boast more nice features such as Silent Cinema, which recreates surround sound using headphones. The Panny doesn't have that. I am told that Yamaha usually is the best for music by an audiophile I know that makes his own speakers...

P.S. : I will be using this receiver with a Philips DVP642 DVD player.

Do any of you have suggestions about which one I should choose?

Thank YOU!

Bee [​IMG])

2. RyanHud

RyanHud Stunt Coordinator

I was in the same situation you are in a few months ago. In the end after reading all the positive reviews, i went with the Panasonic SA-XR50 and i honestly couldnt be happier. Just like you im more of a music fan then HT. You'll be amazed by the sound this little thing puts out. And as for the cinema headphone feature, i found its not all that great, definately not worth getting the yamaha over the panny for.
    If you have any questions about it feel free to ask.

3. Tu Pham

Tu Pham Auditioning

Do a search Bebert. This topic has been covered too many times. Go to your local store and buy one of each and try it out. lol [​IMG]

4. Bebert

Bebert Auditioning

Hi Tu Pham,

I did try searching a little bit but couldn't find a lot of threads containing "SA-XR50". I am looking for stories such as RyanHud's reply; he seems to be pretty satisfied with his SA-XR50. I'm pretty sure a lot of people have looked at both models before choosing one of them in that price range.

Would you have the kindness to give me some keyword ideas to use for the search, in order to help me find those threads?

Oh, and btw... i'm the type of guy that buys without listening, I don't have enough time to shop around and lose time in stores that most of the time don't have the receivers on display, or they are unplugged, etc. Which means, I am not the type that's going to take two home and bring one back... ;-)

Bee