Panasonic SA-XR45

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chris_Tara, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Chris_Tara

Chris_Tara Auditioning

Does anyone own this receiver? What are your opinions on it. I am mostly looking to have a solid receiver to power 2 tower speakers in stereo for now, but later I will be upgrading to 5.1. Would this be a good buy?

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I think this thread generally summed it up.

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I've heard that Panisonic unit and i'll say it did sound impressive but I don't trust Panasonic after my last reciever from them blew out within 6 months. I like my HK AVR-225 just fine.

4. dusty

dusty Agent

I can second that. Stay away from Panasonic receivers. They arent built to last. My Panasonic was from a HTIB kit, but it still should have lasted more than 2 years IMHO. I just picked up the Onkyo TX-SR501, and am very pleased. It was $299 from Crutchfield, with free shipping to boot. Its not as sleek looking as the Panasonic receiver, but I bet it will last longer.

5. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

I've had my Panasonic SHAC500D prepro ($200) for more than 5 years now with absolutley no problems. I don't think Pany is any more problematic that any other vendor.

Plus the XR45 is getting great reviews from many quarters, including high-end speaker designers (Newform).

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

There's an on-going thread at audiocircle.com (10 pages by now) on the SA-XR25/45. Apparently, the XR45 can do "tri-amping". Have all sorts of links to power cable upgrades (the power cable on Panasonic/Technics are detachable) and details to the Texas Instrument digital amps inside the receivers.

7. Gabe Moran

Gabe Moran Auditioning

I just purchased the XR45 and installed it with Onkyo 6-1 speaker system package and it sounds great both for my stereo needs and surround sound. I have no resevations regarding Panasonic equipment at all. My only disappointment is with their remote.