Panasonic SA XR-50

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RyanHud, Feb 22, 2005.

1. RyanHud

RyanHud Stunt Coordinator

Hey, I got a panasonic saxr-50 for christmas and i love it. My uncle just upgraded his system and gave me his old Cerwin Vega AT-12's. They sound great hooked up together, but when i really push it, i mean really push it i dont feel like the powers all there and i start to hear clipping. Now, could it be that im just simply maxing out the speakers, or are they looking for power that just isnt there.
    Any suggestions?
    Heres the specifications on the speakers by the way
    Freq.Resp: 28Hz - 28Khz
    Power Handling: 200 watts
    Sensitivity: 97dB
    Impendence: 6 Ohms
    Crossover points: 400Hz/3000hz
    HF Driver: 1" Mylar
    Mf Driver: 5" cone
    LF driver: 12" cast frame
    Protection: Hf breaker/fuse
    Level Controls: Hf/Mf
    Enclosure type: Bass reflex

2. Paul S

Paul S Stunt Coordinator

The rule of thumb is: IF IT SOUNDS BAD TURN IT DOWN!!!

If you continue to run your equipment at excessive volume you can damage either the speakers, the receiver, or both. In short, you are most likely abusing your equipment.

3. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

No offense Ryan, but I wonder why people do this. Why would you want to potentially damage your speakers by cranking your gear to the max? Set it at a comfortable level (you can even crank it a little) and enjoy. Don't crank it if you suspect the receiver or speakers can't handle it.

4. RyanHud

Haha, to answer your question Kevin
    I do it because I'm 18 and I get satisfaction from shaking the house and getting mom pissed [​IMG]
    I was just wondering if the panny puts out enough power for such large speakers.

5. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

The Panny has more than enough power for those speakers-for most people. The Vegas are fairly efficient but you will ruin one or both if you do this continually. Seems like fun until you are having to ask your parents for more money to replace them [​IMG]

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Do you have a sub? If not, getting one might give you more house shaking ability without taxing the amp as much. How many speakers are you running? How do you have them configured?

At 97 dB sensitvity, I can't imagine you not being able to get insanely loud levels, unless what you mean is that you want more bass, which is common at your age.[​IMG]

DJ

7. RyanHud

Yes, i do have a sub, but its a POS. It a little sony SAWM20
    8" 50 watts. I only use it when im playing things at lower volumes because it distorts so easily. So the louder i turn up the volume, the lower i turn down the sub.
    I have a 5.1 setup, nothin fancy really, especially compared to everyone's setup on these boards.
    The sub is actually my next upgrade. Ive read a lot of good things about the dayton 10" for 125$. The problem is, thats in american funds and im canadian. Then theres the whole shipping thing, shipping 40 pounds across border to here will be very costly. Any suggestions?

8. EvanW

EvanW Stunt Coordinator

Move from canda [​IMG] or find something else.

9. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Frank must be younger than I imagine [​IMG]