Panasonic SA-HE200 How does it sound??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Silverstein, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Ken Silverstein

Ken Silverstein Auditioning

I've read alot of threads talking about the Panasonic SA-HE200. It seems that everyone thinks this is a great unit for the money. What I really want to know is how does it really sound? How does the sound compete with a Denon or Yamaha? If money we not really an issue, would you spend a couple of hundred more and buy a Denon or Yamaha?

I would be using the receiver 90% for home theater. I have Polk speakers (front, center, surrounds) and an M&K subwoofer. I am replacing a 7 year old Yamaha Pro-logic amp whose center channel give fading in and out.

For the last 25 years, I have spent alot of time and money agonizing over my audio/video equipment purchases. I alway made sure that I bought the "best". As I get older, and as technology is getting better, I am questioning whether it's necessary to spend the extra money to buy the equipment pushed by the audiophile magazines. Clearly, Panasonic is not one of those brands that the audiophile magazines consider worthly of serious consideration.

Does anyone have any thoughts???

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I'd also like to see a "FULL" report on the 100 & 200 form HTF members.

3. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

4. Ken Silverstein

Ken Silverstein Auditioning

Daniel, now that you have it for almost 3 months, are you still satisfied?

Does anyone else have any opinions??

5. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

6. Joe_B_M

Joe_B_M Extra

I've had mine for about a month and a half and it has worked very well for me. It sounds very good to me, is built really well, and I haven't had any problems at all. It really is a very nice quality piece and the looks and price just seal the deal.

I would definitely recommend it.

7. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Panasonic owned and operated the Technics line of receivers which, while never considered "audiophile" grade in the least, gave many people a decent-quality entre to the world of high-fidelity sound.

Unfortunately, the Technics line of A/V receivers just disappered. The last model-year was 2002 with the SA-DX750, SA-DX950, and SA-DX1050, all pretty good products, considering their prices.

The new Panasonics (SA-HE70, SA-HE100, SA-HE200), adjusting for the upgrades you would have expected anyway, such as adding DPL II, are suspiciously similar to the old Technics units.

Well, to me that's a good thing.

I owned a Technics stereo analog receiver and had many years of happy service from it (high school, college, and beyond). The Technics were solid deals for the price and, if these new Panasonics are any good, it's probably because they are really the Technics products, re-branded.

The Panasonic brand itself was never particularly associated with very good audio gear, so it's surprising that they abandoned the Technics name.

8. Tony-Merit

Tony-Merit Agent

I just up graded my Home theater from a Technics SA-DX750 to a Panasonic SA-HE200 I am glad I did. I was amazed how well the Panasonic sounded. I was set on buying a HK AVR 520 but when I heard the Panasonic I knew this was the receiver for me. many people will say the HK AVR 520 is a better receiver but I just like the way the Panasonic sounded. The only advantage I felt the HK AVR 520 had was pre outs. The Panasonic sounds good with Music and Home theater. I would highly recommend the Panasonic SA-HE200.

9. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I've had an HE200 at home for over a month now and I too am very happy with it. Set the HQ sound mode on, turn on the Re-Master feature and it does wonders with just about any material. It's has extremely low noise, excellent dynamics, wide dynamic range, tons of power and there's lots of features to play with, if you're so inclined (and who here isn't?!).

I had an H/K AVR320 before this and although the H/K sounds warmer, the HE200 is nowhere near coarse or grainy sounding. I think it actually sounds more detailed than the H/K, but I wasn't able to do a direct A/B comparison.