Panasonic S35 Excellent

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ernest, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

I purchased the Panasonic S35 pro scan player because it plays RAM and I wanted to match it up with my Samsung DVDR 3000 RAM recorder. To my suprise this unit is a great player that can zoom a 4 x 3 letterbox to a variety of formats eliminating overscan. Great for HD TV's that lock in Full.

I compared the picture quality against my RP 82 and E30, both incorporate the DCDi chip, and I can't see any difference. My DVD's are displayed on Toshiba 42 and 56 HD TV's. I switched all my components so the S35 is now my main player and the RP 82 my backup.

So if you are looking for an excellent pro scan player with a great zoom you can't go wrong for $99.00. Best Buy is offering free shipping and no interest until January 2004.

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I think I read that the new Panny players all have the chroma bug now.

3. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

Not from what I saw when I watched Robin Hood last night all the reds looked excellent. I will be honest with you from what I can see from the JVC, Panasonic and Samsung player / recorders I own the chroma bug is a hoax. I specificaly played Ben Hur, Toy Story, Quo Vadis and never say any reds that looked improper. Don't worry about something you can't see that soemone claims exists.

4. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

I hear that, Ernest!!!

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I don't see edge enchancment in dvd's either, but it exists. Chroma bug isn't always in reds either. Check out the follwing link from the Secrets of home theater and Hifi. The toy story chroma bug is also seen in the blue portion.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ug-4-2001.html

6. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Stunt Coordinator

We have three different Panny DVD players in the house and I haven't seen the bug on any of them.

7. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Does anybody just watch the MOVIE anymore??? [​IMG]

Y'all need to specify how large the screen is before saying any visual aberration is actually noticeable. Most people don't own 60" diagonal screens, know what I mean? Heck, how do we know it isn't the monitor that's causing the problem?

LJ

8. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

So true! Ignore it and it will go away (or at least, fix itself) [​IMG]

9. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

10. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Well, I never noticed the chroma bug on my old interlaced Tosh players on either my old 32" direct-view or my new 53" HD RPTV, but I did notice it from the Panny S35 I tried for a couple weeks. No, I was not trying to look for it, and it did not look too distracting to me, but it was there. Heck, I didn't even realize it was the chroma bug at first since I had assumed the Panny's wouldn't have it.

Also, the PQ of the S35's letterbox zoom (even at 1.25x) looked downright awful and essentially unwatchable on the 53"--I was starting to get a little qeazy from it(!). So I have no idea how somebody can love that feature on a 56" HDTV. And I ended up w/ the Panny RP91, which does a much better job at letterbox zoom even though it's not variable nor very flexible like the new Panny's.

FWIW, I use ~8ft eyes-to-screen distance. Maybe others are sitting farther away from their comparable size displays or use much smaller displays.

_Man_