Panasonic S-35K Progressive DVD player opinions?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MikeShea, Apr 2, 2003.

1. MikeShea

MikeShea Agent

I remember that last year's Panasonic progressive scan DVD player was using a Faroudja multiplier chip to rebuild the progressive frame from the original source. I am sure this had little difference from the other progressive dvd players on the market but overall I found the RP-62 dvd player to be an excellent buy.

I see that Panasonic how has the S-35K progressive dvd player for $100 and I wanted to find out if it is as strong a player overall as the old 62k was.

Has anyone had any experience with it? Is the picture quality up to par with some of the other better progressive dvd players on the market?

It would seem that at $100 for a progressive player, there is little reason to spend any more for anything else.

Thanks for the input,

Mike
    http://liquidtheater.com/

2. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

3. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

As the owner of the Panasonic DVD-S35K, I can say this is actually a pretty good player.

It is slightly noisy (there's a low-volume high-pitched whine when it seeks different parts of a DVD), but generally the player has excellent picture quality, with only very few instances of the dreaded chroma bug effect (I checked that out on my brother's big 61" Sony rear projection TV that supports 480p component inputs).

4. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

I believe what you're seeing, Ray, is not the chroma bug. It's blocky chroma upsampling due to Panasonic's filtering process. It results in ragged edges that can be seen pretty well on the top of Woody's microphone in Toy Story 1.

5. Frank Da Fin

Frank Da Fin Extra

I've been thinking about getting this player (the S35). Do you think a non-videophile would be able to tell a major difference between it and the RP-62?

6. MikeShea

MikeShea Agent

That Spot review wasn't so bad but I was saddened to hear that the fancy deinterlacing chip had been changed to a cheaper all-in-one one. I'm not as excited about recommending this one to my friends like I was the 62k. Heck, the 62k was only $130.

Still, it may be a fine player for non-videophiles. I don't even know what the chroma bug is.

Thanks for all the good info, if any more of you have this player and use it on big HDTV sets, do give your experiences / reviews.

7. MikeShea

MikeShea Agent

Does this player have the chroma bug? Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of this player with the cheapo deinterlacer vs the Genesis fancy-pants deinterlacer?

Thanks!

8. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

In the SPot review, I compared it side-by-side with an RP-82. No chroma bug IMO, but there are some chroma artifacts which was mentioned in the review.