What's new

Panasonic RV31 or RP56 DVD Player? (1 Viewer)

James Zos

Supporting Actor
First, I DON'T have an HDTV, just a regular 27 inch Panasonic. So my question, is: without being able to use progressive scan, would there be a noticable difference in quality between the RV31 and the RP56?

If not, I'll save myself $60 and stick with the RV31.

Please let me know your opinions...

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
James, there's no differences I can see in interlaced mode on my 27in, nor should there be since I expect that chipset to be the same. The 31 is the entry-level DVD player and is fine if you dont plan on going to an HDTV-ready display for 2 years or more.

I moved to the RP56 as a xmas gift to myself. I know that it's highly-touted Sage chip for progressive scan isn't doing anything for my regular interlaced stuff -- but it gives me an incentive to keep looking at HDTV-ready displays!

I haven't seen Panasonic's hightly-rated RP91, but I will note that the construction of the 56 isn't any better than the 31 -- in that the chassis sheetmetal cover is flimsy and the top has rattled under one circumstance. So I put my VCR on top of the 56.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Thank you both for putting my mind at ease. I think you just saved me $60! One follow up question though: did you find any difference in sound quality? Or is that also the same?

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
My response is that the audio is the same: both units provide optical (only) Toslink beyond composite RCA.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Not to my knowledge. In the DVD Shootout by Secrets of Home Theater Hi-Fi, they found Panasonic to be the only player(s) that did not exhibit the chroma bug. Certainly for the RP-91 when it came out, this was highly touted!

I've had RV-30 and RP-56 and dont think I know what a "chroma bug" looks like. (But I dont have the Toy Story disk which is said to be worst-example).

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Bill, thanks for the reply. I do own the Toy Story discs, thus my concern. Also, I note that there is now a RV32K... I wondered if that was simply the replacement for the 31 and if anyone knew if this was also a safe purchase. Anyone?

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Steven,

as far as I can tell, the RV-32 is the successor to the RV-31, adding support for windows media format audio/video files. There may be other minor differences, but I'm not aware of them. You might also check out the RA-60 if you are interested in DVD-Audio (has built-in DD/DTS decoders as well as a 10-bit/54Mhz video DAC, as opposed to the 31/32 which have a 10-bit 27Mhz DAC, support for MP3 but not WMA).

Bry_DD

Second Unit
Does anyone know if the RP-56 do scaling? I have mits 46805 and it locks up on progressive mode?

Thanks,

Bry

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
James,

Check out the most recent issue of "The Perfect Vision" (it contains a 21 player buyer's guide). They rave about the RP56 as being "the" player in the $200-$250 price range. Plus, why not spend the extra $60 now and be set for a while, especially if you plan on going with an HDTV in the future. No, it won't make a difference right now, but it stands to be *somewhat* future-proof.

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
as far as I can tell, the RV-32 is the successor to the RV-31, adding support for windows media format audio/video files. There may be other minor differences, but I'm not aware of them. You might also check out the RA-60 if you are interested in DVD-Audio (has built-in DD/DTS decoders as well as a 10-bit/54Mhz video DAC, as opposed to the 31/32 which have a 10-bit 27Mhz DAC, support for MP3 but not WMA).
Matt, are you saing that the 31/32 can't play DVD-A, or that it just won't play it as well?

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Matt, are you saing that the 31/32 can't play DVD-A, or that it just won't play it as well?
the RV-31/32 will not play the high-resolution uncompressed DVD-Audio tracks on a dvd-audio disc. It can play whatever tracks are on the dvd-video portion of the dvd-audio disc however (usually a DD5.1 track).

look at panansonic's site. the RV-31/32 are listed under dvd-video players, the RA-60 and RP-91 under dvd-audio players

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks