1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Panasonic RPTV Flicker

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Sam Pat, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Sam Pat

Sam Pat Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

I have an approx. 3 year old Panasonic RPTV (PT47WX-42) that exhibits some flickering on certain parts of the screen in 1080i only. 480i/p are flawless.

I've only started to notice this because of the HD Material that's becoming more popular, most notably with my XBOX 360 where I see alot of menus. If it's 1080i movie material, it is not noticeable at all.

With menus and grids, certain parts of the screen flicker. If I have a game menu with horizontal lines across, some of these lines flicker. Not horribly, but definitely enough to notice and cause a bit of eye strain.

It is almost always with white. Dark coloured grids don't exhibit the flickering nearly as badly.

It is out of warranty so I am not eager to spend lots of money on it, especially since I'd rather put the money towards a new SXRD, but is this common? Do any of your RPTV sets exhibit this behaviour?

Refresh rates always drop with higher resolutions, but is this a Panasonic thing or just a defect with my set? As far as I know, it has always been there. I just haven't noticed because I used to play only 480 material.

Any comments would be helpful. What should I do?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It's probably just interlaced flicker with 1080i as you describe most prevalent on horizontal white lines.

3. Sam Pat

Sam Pat Stunt Coordinator

Thanks!

That could well be it.

The problem is that I haven't seen static material on other people's 1080i sets so I don't know what 'normal' flicker is compared to mine.

4. orestes

orestes Second Unit

I have a similar problem when I bought my xbox 360. It happens at the top of the screen; thus I had to settle for 480p setting for the 360. My unit is a Toshiba HDTV TW40X81 unit (also a RPTV).

This problem did appear when I first had installed comcast HD. I called comcast, and someone fixed it, but I was never explained what the initial problem was. Then, recently I looked at the setting in the comcast motorola top box set, and found out that it is delivering 480p/480i all the time. Then, I asked comcast what type of HD signal I was getting, and I was told 1080i, but the top box set is set at 480p/480i. I wonder if my set does not work at 1080i, and thus it gets those flickering lines at the top of my screen. According to the manual, my TV should support 1080i. I wonder if this unit is defective.

Too bad that there was not HD signal to test this unit when I bought it. Otherwise, I'd have taken this junk back to the store. This is the reason why I am not upgrading any time soon since this technology is still in infancy.

Any way, can anyone here explain? Thanks.

Regards,
    orestes