What's new

Panasonic RP91 works great with DVD-RAM. (1 Viewer)

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
A friend has a Link Removed and took some video of Niagara Falls. He came back, gave the disc to me, and we watched in full DVD glory on my Panasonic RP91 his home movie of some unknown cat taking a turd. (Dunno which firmware, but it is one of the older ones.)
Very nice. :)
Too bad the individual 1 hour discs (30 mins per side) cost CAD$60 each (US$40). :frowning:

James D S

Screenwriter
Wasn't (isn't) DVD-RAM Panasonic's format? Doesn't even state DVD-RAM playback on the face? So this shouldn't be surprising.
AAMOF, I'm looking to purchase a DVD-RAM burner for my computer since they are becoming *very* cheap. ;)

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Yes they do state they support DVD-RAM on the DVD player, but I had not read anything about anybody actually confirming it, and the instructions specifiy that they are somewhat restrictive in what kind of DVD-RAM they support. Thus, although not completely surprised, I was happy to confirm that playing a DVD-RAM home video simply required putting the disc into the player and pressing play.

J

John Morris

Eugene,

Have you really been a member of the HTF from Dec 31, 1969???

Parker: is this another code issue?

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
It should play DVD-RAM disc with no problem.

Now, what I want to know is: Will it play DVD-R's or DVD-RW's of any sort?

I have a Sony Vaio PC that has a DVD-R/RW burner on it and I'm anxious to give it a try. Hopefuly it will work - but something tells me it won't.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.....

Len Cheong

Second Unit
Michael, have you created movies on your Sony? How long does it usually take? I want to take the plunge in a dvd burning sytem but am wondering if the computers are fast enough.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Len
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I plan on picking up some blank DVD media in the next week or so (maybe tomorrow at Best Buy even)......I'm not sure what I have to put on DVD just yet...but I should be able to find something.
The Sony is a P4 1.8 MHZ w/ 512 MB of RAM...so hopefully that will be enough.
I'll be sure to post my findings, once I have the time to play around with it. I should definitely have some time around Christmas, when I finally have a few days off in a row :)

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Now, what I want to know is: Will it play DVD-R's or DVD-RW's of any sort?
I wouldn't be surprised if it supports DVD-R, since that medium is supposed to work on most (but not all) DVD players, if the disc is authored properly.
BTW, it takes a little bit of effort to remove the DVD-RAM disc from the cartridge - definitely not intuitive. However, it's not too hard once you know how to do it.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
DVD-RAM is different than DVD-R or DVD-RW

It does say it plays DVD-RAM right on the fron of the RP-91

In the manual it says CANNOT PLAY DVD-R (Some DVD-R's will play)

And I now have information from another RP91 owner who says he plays Pioneer DVD-R's and Appple DVD-R's just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks