What's new

Panasonic RP91 vs RP56 (1 Viewer)

George Fogel

Agent
I'm trying to decide between these two: the deciding factor may be whether the RP56 can rescale non-anamorphically enhanced letterboxed material for Widescreen displays that lock into "FULL" mode when fed a progressive scan signal. I know that the RP91 can do this but I can't find a definite "yes" or "no" for the RP56. (I'll probably go with the RP91 but the RP56's Faroudja chip looks tempting...........IF it does the rescaling.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Hey George,

The only to decide is, what do your senses tell you. the forum will tell you rp91, becauase it's a great player. Although the rp56 uses the sage chipet and the rp91 has the genis chip. With the firmware updates being available with rp91 to correct some minor issues, it made a great choice for me. thus for i'm pleased with it's performance and can't wait to get the newsest firmware. Also can't wait for my new HDTV.

Good luck!

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Definite NO on scaling for the RP56. The RP56 component output looks a bit noisy to me, as well. The deinterlacing may be "better," but that's never the whole story.
I don't own either, I just find myself looking at both often in the store.:)
Question of the Day: Why is it that the supposed "best" deinterlacer keeps finding its way into the lowest cost DVD players? Talk about ruining your "branding!"
Todd

Joe-T

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know the answer to that question Todd. Makes no sense to me, but then again, I'm not a marketing genious :). No the RP-56 doesn't have the rescaling feature, and if your TV locks in the full mode, don't get this player. I have the RP-56 and absolutely love it, but I just readjust my TVs ratio if viewing a non-anamorphic disk. I just bought the RP-56 because it is very inexpensive and will hold me off for a few years until I can find an all inclusive player for DVD-video, DVD-audio or SACD (whichever wins out), with bass management, and a good price. I'm sure you will be very happy with the RP-91.

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi George,

Both are excellent players. But if scaling is a key feature to you, then the rp91 is the better choice.

I have a 65x81 Toshiba that does not lock into Full mode. Before my htpc, I used to use the TW2 for non-anamorphics. It works fine but the image really isn't scaled properly. Having that feature on a player makes the viewing experience more enjoyable.

Thanks,

Errol

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Another advantage of the RP-91's scaling feature is when viewing supplemental material. The RP-91 will automatically change its aspect ratio and scale (as needed) while the supplements change from full frame -> anamorphic widescreen -> non-anamorphic widescreen. You can leave your TV in FULL mode at all times -- no more switching TV viewing modes back and forth as the material changes.

Also, non-anamorphic widescreen material looks much better with the RP-91's scaling feature.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
And the RP56 in known to have a flickering (video synch??) problem.

Get the RP91 and you won't be sorry. DVD-Audio too!

Dan

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
The flickering is Cross Color Suppression, and an option to turn it on and off is missing in the RP-56, that some implentations of the chip set have implemented.

It isn't the same style of "flickering" you see with Video sync, it's only in patches of saturated colors.

Regards,

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Question of the Day: Why is it that the supposed "best" deinterlacer keeps finding its way into the lowest cost DVD players? Talk about ruining your "branding!"
Bingo! This makes no sense to me either. I would think the RP91 would have had the better deinterlacer, but I believe the reason why it doesn't use the one in the RP56 is because it would then have to use a chipset that can not do the scaling that the RP91 can do. That's just my guess. If true, I wonder how long it will be until a chipset hits the market that can do the best job of deinterlacing, no chroma bug, auto scaling, etc. Heck, maybe it's here now, but if so, is it in a player under $1,500?

George Fogel

Agent
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer my question. I suspected that the RP56 couldn't do the scaling; looks like I'm getting the RP91.

I think the reason that the RP91 does not use the Faroudja chip is that it was released before the chip was..... I doubt that Panasonic would change their production of this player to accommodate a different de-interlacing chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks