What's new

Panasonic RP91 - Replace or Repair? (1 Viewer)

RichG

Agent
Hello all,

I could use some help. Seems I just started getting the H02 error on my Panasonic Rp91 and I understand that means the spindle likely needs replacement. However, I still have 6 weeks go on the parts warranty, but the labor warranty is expired so I would have to incur the cost for that.
Anyway, I was wondering if it would be worth getting the player repaired, or purchasing one of the new upconverting players. I was using the Rp91 in interlace mode, using the internal processor on my Hitachi 57X500 RPTV to upconvert to 1080i. I'm not sure if any of the newer players can better the internal processor on some of the higher end sets like mine. On the other hand, I am concerned that even if I get the spindle repaired, the same problem might reoccur again necessitating another costly repair.

matt-f

Second Unit
Hi Rich:

I happen to have the the previous top of the line before the X500 series - 57TWX20B (same as XWX without tuner). I have my RP82 units on component sending progressive upconverting to 540p - I did have it set to 1080i but I decided to change it recently.

Reguarding the repair, it's worth it since the RP91 is considered to be the best for interlaced output. You could also get in contact with Sango on AVS due to this individual's Panasonic knowledge about reparing and technical information.

If you were looking to the the upconverting players, most likely the player would do a better job than the upscaling on the TV. I would say wait for Panasonic's new DVD-S97 to come out if you want to go this route since this one is a upconverting player.

RichG

Agent
Thanks Matt,

I really like my RP-91, but am a little annoyed at all the reports of spindle motor failure. That's a $100+ repair bill and I would hate to spend that much and have the problem reoccur in another year.

matt-f

Second Unit
Hi Rich:

I don't think the labor would be that high. The part for the new spindle motor is about $35-36 dollars so if you want to repair itself, that can also be an option to avoid labor costs. Also you repair it yourself, your unit would need to be recalibrated to ensure the optical pick up can read ad it's optimum level.

Michael.M.C

Stunt Coordinator
I have one and sent it out for repair. Should be dpne this week. Cost about $170. Am I happy, no. But I did like the machine.

If I am allowed to post this link, here is a topic I began on another forum. The guy who answered my question is helping someone fix his spindle by himself. If you can go that route, you can save big bucks:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/93010.html

matt-f

Second Unit
That's Samijubal from HTS in the link above. I also noticed Sango has stepped in as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.