Panasonic RP91 question/help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PeterB, Feb 20, 2002.

1. PeterB

PeterB Agent

Hey there

I got a Panasonic RP91 DVD player to go along with my HD set. unfortunately, I don't like the player's performance very much, even for its relatively low price.

However, as I have a 16x9 set, I do love theplayer's ability to output non-anamorphic material in anamorphic mode. This is a huge help and, for me, now a must-have feature on any DVD player I buy.

So, since I think the RP91 is poor, does anyone know of any other DVD players out there that offer this type of function? Thanks much!

2. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Hi Peter,

What exactly do you not like about the picture from the RP-91? Perhaps if you can explain what you don't like, others can suggest some DVD players that will improve upon what you identify as weaknesses of this player.

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Peter,

I too am baffled at your reaction to the rp91. Perhaps you don't have all the settings optimized, or have forgotten to turn on the progressive button (lots of us have done that). There's a faq somewhere about the best settings.

If you don't like the picture you're getting, I don't believe there's another player with the same functionality and a better picture, unless you're willing to spend a hell of a lot more money.

4. Brian W

Brian W Stunt Coordinator

Peter-

I have an RP91 on order. I have a H1000 (had a MSRP of $2999 in 1999) and have been THRILLED with it but decided to have a player with DVD-audio along with the non-anamorphic zoom function. The H1000 has the 4X3 shrink function which has been necessary for my Elite 510. 4X3 films have always looked fabulous with the H1000 along with the quality of anamorphic widescreen. I didn't think I could want another player until I read about the zoom, scaling features the RP91 has and have also been interested in having a player with DVD audio.

As an "upgrade" I naturally looked at the H2000, which is the next gen. of H1000. The H2000 has a MSRP of $2,499 (I've seen them sell recently for around $1,499). I almost went for it and then after reading reviews, comments here and around, it seems that the RP91 doesn't lack AT ALL picture quality wise and isn't missing the key features, essentials and niceties that the H2000 has. Some have gone as far to say that the RP91 is the same player as the H2000 -just a heftier weight and price. I've also heard that the H2000 has a potential Y/C delay issue/problem that the RP91 does NOT have. So I'm giving the RP91 a try.

I have to say that you are about the only person I've read that is not happy with the RP91. And now I'm concerned because I read your reviews and visit your site frequently and admire your taste. I sure hope it's just that you don't have all your calibration or adjustments made!

If the RP91's picture quality measures up to be just as good as the H1000, then I will be more than satisfied -and then I will have DVD audio and the additional scaling modes too. From my research I have no reason to doubt that it will measure up and that the H2000 is not worth another $1000 or so. My research also didn't produce any additional players with scaling features, shrink function as these Panasonic players have. Even players listed with a higher MSRP than the H2000 seemed to lack this which REALLY surprised me. I knew the H1000 was the only progressive player that had the 4x3 shrink function in 1999. I assumed that all high end players would have these scaling features by now!

5. PeterB

PeterB Agent

Howdy

Well, I found the RP91 to be a pretty terrible player, the worst I've had since my very first back in 1997. As editor of DVDFILE, obviously I've been through a lot of discs and players, and have a lot of issues with the RP91...

First, the minor gripes, stuff I can live with:

- Hate the remote with the little directional knob-thing

- On-screen displays are pretty hard to use and annoying, and the instruction manual does not provide much in the way of help

Major gripes:

- After consulting HTF and the internet for help, finally got the 4x3 zoom function to work decently. However...

- even after adjustment, in zoom mode the player still crops about 10% of the image when it scales up non-anamorphic widescreen titles. Since a huge feature of the player is its ability to output non-anamorphic titles in anamorphic mode, such cropping is really unacceptable

- The video performance of the player is poor. I compared a large number of discs, and the RP91 handles the compression pretty badly, with much more artifacts and blockiness than my compartively priced Sony and Toshiba players

- No matter what 3:2 pulldown mode I set the player in, i still get horrible motion artifacts on any material originating as a 30fps video source. I watched some DVDs such as Sex In the City, Queer As Folk and Larry Sanders, and all are virtually unwatchable.

To top it off, this is the third RP91 I had to go through. The first two I had to return, one for freezing on any layer change, and the second because it crapped out on me after only a month and wouldn't play any discs at all.

: (

6. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

Its interesting how you ask a question and receive all types of replies that never provide the information you requested. Here is the answer to your question.

JVC, Malata and Apex make DVD players that reformat 4 x 3 letterbox DVD's to 16 x 9 anamorphic. I own two JVC pro scan players and am very satisfied with their performance.

7. Brian W

Brian W Stunt Coordinator

Ernest-

While my response to Peter may have rambled on a bit I think I did point out that the H2000 also has the scaling features and other than that I have not run across any other players that have the scaling or the 4X3 shrink feature. That may be because I've been so happy with my Pan. H1000 that I felt I didn't need to look too far from the H2000 or the RP91 -from what I've read until now.

That said, I would like to know more about the models you mention. If I am as unhappy with the RP91 when it arrives as Peter is then I would like to look into these other models. Any sites, info, specs etc. would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

8. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Peter -- with the Malata N996, you can manually scale non-anamorphic (or anamorphic) DVDs to completely eliminate overscan. The Malata's picture quality is pretty good, but a bit soft for my taste.

I, like many here, think the RP91's picture quality is best, but you're right that it's a bit weak with 'video/30fps' material. However, it does a wonderful job with 'film/24fps' material. I assume you have it set to Auto/Auto2 transfer mode in the U4 'Display' settings.

9. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

hmmmm, it DOES appear Panasonic is (already) replacing the RP-91, insofar as it has been removed from the Panasonic Home Electronics website (leaving just RP-56). Another thread poster said a dealer is looking for new units in April, for what it's worth...

10. Brad HP

Brad HP Agent

I thought that Panasonic removed the RP-91 from their website also, however, it is listed under "Audio", then "DVD-Audio". I think that Panasonic recently confirmed that the RP-91 will continue in 2002. I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago and am impressed with its performance.

11. StephenMSmith

StephenMSmith Stunt Coordinator

One thing you should do if you suspect your RP-91 isn't meeting expectations is to verify that you have Standard selected in the setup menu for the TV Type option. Any other selection alters the output levels and picture quality, which may make an uncalibrated TV look a little better, but makes a calibrated set look like crap.

Steve