What's new

Panasonic RP91 player -- no blacker than black? (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Setting the RP91's black level doesn't seem to have any discernable affect when the progessive outputs are connected to my TW40X81.
The manual says to choose the "darker" setting when using progressive scan, but I see no difference!
Is this a problem with all RP91s, or just my player?
My set has been calibrated with Avia and a CA-1 colorimeter...so I know my black levels are set properly on the set.
[Edited last by Max Leung on July 11, 2001 at 10:05 PM]

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm...on second thought, the "darker" setting could just mean "if there is blacker-than-black encoded on a DVD, pass it unaltered", whereas the "lighter" setting would up-convert it to the NTSC 7.5 IRE. This would be different from the DV-37 or Tosh 6200's black enhancement settings, right?
[Edited last by Max Leung on July 11, 2001 at 10:20 PM]

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Well, I can see no difference between the lighter setting and the darker setting with the Video Essentials pluge pattern...the "blacker-than-black" bar in the pluge is passed correctly with both.
Anyone else confirm this?

Robert George

Screenwriter
Max:
The RP91 does not pass 0 IRE "below black". The "lighter/darker" setting is there because of the inherent difference in luminance between component and composite video. Selecting one or the other is merely changing the black level setting of the player and has nothing to do with black level "setup" (0 or 7.5 IRE).
This adjustment can be useful on monitors that do not have seperate settings for each input. Otherwise, the same black level can be attained with either setting using the "brightness" control on the monitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.