Panasonic RP91 or RP62?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Pay, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Rick Pay

Rick Pay Stunt Coordinator

Big price difference on these 2 progressive scan units, $300.00 difference. Will the RP62 be sufficient for my new Panny PT47wx49? What is the main difference between these 2 units that a newbie would notice?

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm pretty sure the biggest difference is DVD-Audio...but I could be wrong.

3. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

and the automatic scaling for sets that lock in 16x9 mode when fed a progessive signal

4. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if the RP62 will play DVD-RAM discs? The RP91 will, which is why I've wanted one. I don't yet have a progressive display, but I do make DVD-RAM and DVD-R recordings with the DMR-E20.

I understand more of the decks in the Panasonic line will offer DVD-RAM playback capability. I just don't know which ones.

5. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Mike Brantley,
    It doesn't look like it does...as per the Crutchfield website (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...0&I=133DVRP62K):
    The DVD-RP62 is your one-stop A/V entertainment source it not only plays DVDs, but also CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and even CD-R/Ws with MP3 or WMA (Windows Media Audio) files burned on them!

6. Michael St. Clair

The RP-62 has a better doubler for discs with bad flags.

7. HuynH

HuynH Extra

8. Michael St. Clair

9. MitchP

MitchP Extra

10. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

Ron, you might be right, but I seem to recall that a Crutchfield description of the RP91's capabilities also didn't mention DVD-RAM playback. And I know that deck plays them.

I'll keep a watchful eye on the new Panasonic decks.

11. Chris_O

Chris_O Agent

I am also interested in these two players. I have read a lot of good things about the RP-91 but I really don't want to spend $500 on a DVD player right now. I am mainly interested in progressive scan picture quality for Film based DVDs. Besides the scaling feature and DVD-A is there any reason to choose the RP-91 over the RP-62. From what I have read about the two chipsets I would think that the RP-62 would have better progressive scan picture quality? Would the RP-62 fit the bill for me? I don't care about DVD-A or auto scaling, I just want the best picture quality for film based DVD's. My TV is a mits 65-908.

Chris