Panasonic RP91 goes dead after 2 years

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by bernard_m, Aug 23, 2003.

1. bernard_m

bernard_m Auditioning

I have read a lot of good things about this player and I bought one in 2001. Last week the optical laser went bad. The cost to repair it is $250.00. The video quality on this player was great, but having it go bad after only 2 years is very dissapointing. I was wondering if others had similar problems with manufacturing quality on this unit, or was I one of the unlucky ones.

2. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I also bought one around 2001. Still going strong.

Later this year I will upgrade to the Denon 5900 though.

3. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

Optical pick-up problems are fairly common with Panasonics. My first player was the A310, which required a new optical pick-up after about two months. Then I got an RP91 which I loved to death but after about two years its optical pick-up went out, just like yours. Now I have the Denon 1600 (which uses Panasonic guts and decoder) and have started getting the same "F893" error message I got on my RP91 before it died!

Whoa, after reading that last paragraph again, I guess I am the unlucky one!

In any case, I would definitely not spend $250 to repair it. You can get an RP91 new at ecost.com for $273 and used ones for even less in the HARDWARE FOR SALE forum right here.

Good luck!

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

My RP-91 is also about 2 years old. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. There's not another reasonably-priced player on the market that can beat it's scaling feature.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Bernard, just what are your viewing habits with that RP91? Do you run several films back-to-back? Is the unit kept clean and dust-free?

Most DVD players — that is, all units short of ruggedly constructed flagship models — while sophisticated, are pretty flimsy and they run hot. Best to screen no more than two feature-length films in a row and then let the player "rest" for a couple or more hours. At least that's my conclusion after listening to the experiences of others.

6. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    My RP91 just "died" on me yesterday. I don't know what the problem is yet, but I hope its not the optical pick-up because I'm not about to spend $250 to fix it. I'm going to call customer service in the morning.

7. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I've read lots of reports of the Panasonic RP91 failing within 2 years of use. I'd recommend a more reliable Denon DVD-1600.

8. Sean^M

Sean^M Stunt Coordinator

hopefully the RP82 I just bought isn't going to suffer a similar fate.
    I'll be rather perturbed if it does after spending $275 for it.
    Money doesn't grow on trees for me. heh

9. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

My RP82 died after 7 months.... Parts covered under warranty, but not labor (which is about the whole repair cost).

10. Sean^M

Sean^M Stunt Coordinator

my answer to that would be "send me the parts then, and I'll do the work myself."
    I didn't pay all that money for an EE degree for nothing. heh

11. jason-celaya

jason-celaya Agent

Mine had died after 1 year of use as well, very light usage and babied.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

How am I going to get a good night's sleep with all these horror stories about the shortgevity of the Panny RP91?

13. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

My laser assembly crapped out on my RP91 after a little over a year. I ordered a new assembly from Panasonic for around $90 and put it in myself. Half an hour later good as new [​IMG]

As a side note I ordered the Liteon LVD-2001 which Fedex just dropped off today. When I get home I'll be comparing the Liteon's 1080i output directly with the RP91.

14. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

My RP91 died after about 2 years as well. I never bothered to see what went wrong with it because I was going to replace it with a HTPC anyway. I picked up a Pioneer 45A in the meantime so once the HTPC is built I will have a SACD and DVD-A player.

15. BeatCrazy

BeatCrazy Stunt Coordinator

My original RP91 conked out after about 8 months of use. It wouldn't read CDs, just DVDs...weird. I had a buddy at Tweeter (it pays to buy from a B&M store!) replace it for me for free. My current one has V250 software and worked fine until I replaced it with an XP50.

16. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Sam, has the XP50 been more reliable?

17. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

18. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

Hey Scott, not to hijack this thread too much but I was pleasantly pleased with the performance of the Liteon. From the short time I spent with it last night its scaling abilities are at least on par with the RP91. I think I remember us having the same dvd player and tv so you should have similar results with the Liteon.

As for its picture quality it was better than the RP91 as others have noted but not by a huge amount. It was better in the sense of a very smooth, very filmlike picture with no digital harshness and better color clarity. For $150 and with its features its a definite keeper. I'll be selling my RP91 or using it as a secondary player.

19. BeatCrazy

BeatCrazy Stunt Coordinator

Don,

20. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Ever since my rp-82 died with less than 1 year of use, I do not buy Panasonic anything anymore. Had panasonic solved the problem acceptably, I would still be a customer.