Panasonic RP91 and non-anamorphic 1:66

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony I, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Anthony I

Anthony I Stunt Coordinator

Does the Panasonic RP91 scale the same for non-anamorphic 1:66 films as it does for 4:3 films when presented in the FULL mode? Basically are there narrower black bars on the sides of the picture on 1:66 films than the 4:3 films?

2. Anthony I

Anthony I Stunt Coordinator

Also with non-anamorphic 2:35 films with subtitles in the black bars, are the words cut off, because the scroll feature doesn't work in FULL mode on my Toshiba.

3. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    No. The zoom function will expand the picture to fill the screen horizontally, thus cropping the picture top and bottom. There is no way to have it do the shrink function such that the image fills the screen vertically with smaller side black bars. That would be nice, but I guess we can't have everything.
    However, you can still choose "shrink" manually, which will windowbox the image in the normal 4:3 area. Personally I prefer this to cropping via the zoom function and the image is acceptably large on my 58" screen (Elite 610).
    This was previously discussed in a couple of threads, including my post in this one:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/040036.html
    Another reason why 1.66 films should be anamorphic.