Panasonic RP91 and Bass Management

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Ball, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

I've pre-ordered the Outlaw 950 and was wondering if the Bass Management in the 950 would be good nough to control the DVD-A portion of th RP91? Yes I know about the ICBM but can't afford it and the RP91. Second question is $529 a good price for the RP91?

Thanks

Craig

2. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Bump

3. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

Graig,

Maybe I can help you a little. To answer a couple of questions. If you didn't but the 91 online then $549 is to much. They can be had from $400-$500 bucks online. I recenly brought miune from jandr music world for $424 including shipping & handling. Let me know where you got it from, maybe you can do a price match and get the difference still.

Second, I use DVD-Audio via the 6 channel inputs on the back of my receiver. I'm assuming the DVD internals takes over bybassing everything from the 950. I use my RP91 for DTS decoding. I notice a difference when I use my receiver to do the decoding. The sound seems a little lower when using the DVD decoders. This could because my Denon allows me to adjust the speakers levels up to 12 decibals vs only 6 on the RP91. Thus the 91 doesn't have specific crossover points but, does allow you to select either small or large speakers. Maybe this can help you a little. I not an expert, I just notice things like this and, sometimes it hepls me understand whats going on and how things works.

Maybe someone else can you out also and clarify things more.

Charles

4. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Charles M, I haven't bought it yet but i was looking at onecall. I guess if the 950 bypasses everything in the RP91 then i'll still need the ICBM from Outlaw. I didn't want to spend that kind of money so soon, and would be really depressed if SACD ended up being VHS and DVD-A ended up being BETA!!!

Craig

5. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

Graig,

I don't think that SACD will become extinct that soon. Both DVD-Audio & SACD should be around for a while. The ICBM is the answer. I know I will have to get one eventually but, it's not a big deal to me a the moment. When newer DVD player are manufactured with digital outs for DVD-Audio & SACD, we won't have to worry about six channel analog out, not to mention better bass managment. Until then we'll have to wait.

Charles