Panasonic RP82 - setup question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marshall Sander, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Marshall Sander

Marshall Sander Stunt Coordinator

I am setting up my new RP-82 and have this question: The DVD player has settings for large/small speakes and other similar settings that I went through on my reciever (HK AVR8000). Is there a need to do the setup on my DVD as well as my receiver?

2. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

The speaker size settings on the RP-82 are used when the DD or DTS decoding is being done by the RP-82, and being output through the 5.1 channel analog outputs. If your receiver's doing the DD and DTS decoding (using the digital connection from the RP-82), you don't have to do anything with speaker size settings on the RP-82.

3. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

To add a twist to this - if listening to DVD-A music in 5.1 mode via the analog outs of the RP82 (which would be preferable in order to get the best quality audio), shouldn't the speaker sizes be set up appropriately in the player config? Or does DVD-A bypass the need for large/small settings, etc?

4. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Speaker size settings don't work with DVD-A on the RP-82 (ie: it has no bass management).